• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI KT3 Ultra 2 and Mobile Barton 2500+ ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gasoline

I have an older MSI KT3 Ultra 2 mobo currently with an 1700 XP processor on it and looking for a cheap upgrade. Right now it seems that the Mobile Barton 2500+ is the big overclocking rage to get. Does anybody know if my KT3Ultra2 will support this chip and if it'd be worthwhile to spend the $93 at newegg to get a *mobile* barton 2500+ (unlocked) or should I just only spend the $76 and get the regular locked barton 2500+ oem chip? If my mobo won't really make the best overclocking use of the unlocked mobile barton, then it would make more sense just to get the cheaper regular barton since I'm on a budget and would like the most bang-for-the-buck upgrade value for this machine.

If you had this mobo in an already-good-running computer and could only afford to upgrade the cpu chip by itself, what would you recommend I do?

my understanding is the boot in the kt3 at a 14 multiplier

but from what i know 14x 166 =2324 mhz or more should be on the cards ,you do have pc 2700 ram at least

wonkanoby said:
my understanding is the boot in the kt3 at a 14 multiplier

but from what i know 14x 166 =2324 mhz or more should be on the cards ,you do have pc 2700 ram at least

Yes I do have 512MB total of Kingston "ValueRam" pc2700 in the form of 2 sticks of 256MB each, CL2.5 speed.

I just can't seem to find out if the KT3 Ultra2 will be able to support the "mobile" (unlocked) version of the 2500+ Barton with it's voltage and multiplier capabilities. I know the plain regular Barton 2500+ is known to be well supported in this mobo, and some folks are reporting getting their FSB set all the way up to 200MHz on this mobo with a Barton 2500+ if the memory can handle it (I dunno if mine can go that high, Kingston VR isn't the greatest overclock ram) which would be great, but since the mobile chip is unlocked, if it is known to run well on this particular mobo, I'd like to play around with different multiplier settings since I haven't been able to really do that since the days of the original Pentium and K6 socket-7 chips!

I don't want to pour a whole lot of money into this machine either, since it's a secondary gaming box for guests when they come over to visit, but I'd like to boost it's speed up a bit economically if I can.

In that case, I should just get the regular plain Barton 2500+ and crank up the FSB as much as the whole system can tolerate. It'll still make a decently fast machine and do it on a slim budget.

Thnx,
Gas

Gasoline said:
In that case, I should just get the regular plain Barton 2500+ and crank up the FSB as much as the whole system can tolerate. It'll still make a decently fast machine and do it on a slim budget.

Actually I changed my mind and will put off the upgrade alltogether until I can do it on a more grand scale :D

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=283728

A chance to exploring Athlon-64 territory may not be so far out of my grasp.

Back