• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Absolute Zero

ok, i'm currently running windows xp pro. now, i'm making the jump to linux, i've got fedora core 1. i want to dual boot xp and fedora, and i want to keep all my settings. i have a laptop with 60 gigs of extra space. so...

i think i should transfer my current setup to my laptop, install xp, then linux, then transfer my xp config onto the xp partition. how would i get my settings from my current computer onto my laptop (i have a home network but i can't transfer some files)? if anyone knows a better way to do this, let me know.

sorry for the newbiness, its that encrypted database of users in xp that's throwing me.

do fedora and xp get along? i mean, is it a lot of trouble to dual
boot them?

ok, i'm done now.

Transferring your current setup to a laptop won't work... XP doesn't play well when "transferred" between different computers, regardless of transfer method. If the computers have different chipsets, then they won't work.

Linux and Windows can work together, but it may be some trouble getting it to work, especially for a newbie. Your XP is probably using NTFS, so you will be able to read files on the windows parition, but not write.

i just want to use the laptop as a temporary storage spot. i want to copy the contents of my hard drive to the laptop, format, partition, install xp, install linux, use the grub boot loader to dual boot (i did it before with red hat 7), then transfer all my setting to the xp partition. if that can't be done, please tell me.

You can get full and safe linux ntfs read/write support via Captive, which basically wraps around window's driver. As for transferring your XP settings, check with the MS OS forum. With Linux, you'd just copy everything from ~/.* (any directory in your home dir that starts with a .) to your new computer, but windows is a different beast (or monster ;)).

Don't wrtite to NTFS through Linux, that's a big no-no. Install Cygwin on the Windows OS and use 'scp' or 'rsync' to transfer files. Better yet (and easier), just use FTP.

OK I just re-read this, I missed the point entirely. You CAN transfer an entire partition between 2 completely different XP machines. You'll need to re-activate XP, but Windows will locate the correct drivers. As for how to copy it around, just create another partition, use FAT32 so Linux and Windows can write to it.

If your XP drive is formatted in NTFS then you CAN resize it! First, get and burn System Rescue CD (bootable linux disc with a bunch of disk utils). Then close all your apps and defrag your windows drive. AFter the defrag is done, put he SysRescCD in and reboot. (Make sure that your CD drive is set to boot before your HD). When you've got to the boot prompt just hit enter. If it hangs try the boot options listed on when you press F2, F3, or F4. When you get to the command prompt type "man ntfsresize" and read the whole thing (it has important notes on how to use ntfsresize). When you're done reading that press "q" to exit. (Note: on Linux, you can type man [command] to get information on that command). Now, run ntfsresize in the trial (no-write) mode to be sure that it will work. If that happens alright, then run it in write mode. After that's finished and you get back to the command line type fdisk. [NOTE: If your drive only has one partition it might not ask you for the partition number.] Type m just so you know what commands are available. Press p to see what partitions are on your drive. Your XP partition should be the first one and have a type of 7 (HPFS/NTFS) and be bootable. Write down the starting cylinder number. Now, type d and enter the partition number. After that type n then p then [partition #], then the starting cylinder listed in the p printout. Then press +[size you specified in ntfsresize][unit (k, M, or G)]. Then press t then [partition #] and then 7. Then press a and then enter the partiton number. Press p again and you should see something like
Code:
Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40016019456 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1      3917  31463271    7  HPFS/NTFS

Command (m for help):

If you're absolutely sure that the printout is right then type w. When you reboot Windows will run chkdsk and then reboot again.

electromagnetic said:
You CAN transfer an entire partition between 2 completely different XP machines. You'll need to re-activate XP, but Windows will locate the correct drivers.
I'd have to disagree with you there. If the systems are too different, it won't work. With minor changes, it may work, but with major changes, like a motherboard chipset change, it won't work. With all the cloning I have done, I can tell you that it will work with some major changes (like a similar motherboard, with the same chipset, and all different devices), but not work with some other, minor changes (like a different harddrive brand).

hey radar, thanks a bunch! you just cirumvented my who dilemma (dillema, dilema, whatever)!

thanks to everyone else. i have a corporate copy of xp, no need to be registered (relax, its legal).

do i have to use the recovery cd to resize?

(it keeps hanging on "scanning for eth16i...")

Back