• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would a drill press do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToolBox

I need to get a drill for modding and I am wondering if a drill press would do for the mod or do I need a regular corded/cordless drill?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say. What is "the mod," I dont really know what kind you need unless I know what youre going to be doing with it. Are you just talking about all around?

I'll just stick with a regular drill. I meant for it to drill holes in my case, like use a hole saw and etc.

Any recommendations for a drill?

The drill press is cheaper then the cordless drill. A 10inch ryobi drill press is $99 and I can't find a good drill for that much.

Drillls can slip off the hole you're working on it. A drill press stays in place.

I guess I'm getting the drill press if you guys recommend it. Its not mobile but I can take my case parts to the work station and just drill.

Cordless drills are slow and a pain to drill with. I have a cordless makita thats a couple years old, with the actual magazine style battery. I hate using it for any holes..... I just use my dremel..

Drill presses are much better to use when moddin than a cordless.

Can I use a hole saw with them? (sorry I'm very new to this) What else would I need besides the hole saw and drill press to get it to work?

ToolBox said:
Can I use a hole saw with them? (sorry I'm very new to this) What else would I need besides the hole saw and drill press to get it to work?

To use the hole saw, all you'll need is the drilll press, the hole saw, and a mandrel. The mandrel screws into the hole saw and is interchangeable between hole saws. I'd also get a set of drill bits from Harbor Freight for general-purpose use.

Ken

penquissciguy said:
To use the hole saw, all you'll need is the drilll press, the hole saw, and a mandrel. The mandrel screws into the hole saw and is interchangeable between hole saws. I'd also get a set of drill bits from Harbor Freight for general-purpose use.

Ken
Or an arbor bit.

Holesaws are a heck of alot easier to use on a drillpress. Also make sure to buy some cutting oil if you plan on using your bits to drill metal.

Hmmm a drill press makes it so much easier. You can also make waterblocks :)

What type of oil is best or is it just one of those "you get whatever you can" kind of things.

ToolBox said:
Hmmm a drill press makes it so much easier. You can also make waterblocks :)

What type of oil is best or is it just one of those "you get whatever you can" kind of things.
It's called cutting/machining/drilling oil. Some people use motor oil, but that's not very cost effective.

Anything other than WD40 will do. WD40 is an oil and de-greaser so it's slight acidic and can eat metal surfaces a bit.

Back