• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do NOT buy x-trac mousepads!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dalilman52

hi all, i just got my logitech mx500 in the mail today from monarch computer and i had bought a x-trac zoom "optical" mouse pad in the past for my future optical mouse, but to my surprise, this mouse pad made the mx500 go all crazy and the cursor went everywhere...very annoying especially when playing cs

so i thought it was the mousepad, and i went to the wooden desk as a testing surface, and the mouse worked perfectly, no crazy cursor movement, so this weekend i will return my x-crap mousepad and buy an everglide mousepad link

im pretty sure the crazy honeycomb pattern on the x-crap mousepads is whats freaking out my new mouse

I strongly disagree, I use a MX500 and a Xtrac Pro HS and a Zoom and they work exceptionally well together. My MX700 also has no problems working on this Xtrac Pro HS mousepad. In fact Xtrac pads are exceptional. Your mouse may have a bad sensor.

I have seen this problem before with people using MX700's and Wireless Keyboards, changing the mouses channel or Keyboards channel usually always solved this issue. Since your situation is not that, I'm inclined to think its your mouses sensor.

Um yah, an optical mouse can be finicky about the surface it is used on. Where I work, I have about 25 optical mice and each one has a preferred surface. A couple of them work best by taping a blank piece of paper to the desk. Others have other surfaces that they work best on.

At home, I use the top of my case as a mousing surface and it works fairly well as long as I clean it once a week or so.

Actually, I once tried a teflon coated cookie sheet just for ****s and giggles as a mousing surface and it worked quite well. In fact, the low friction seems to help with gaming. If I had a decent metal shop in town I think that I would consider having them cut the cookie sheet down to size.

You guys are too picky. Ill use anything and it works fine. Its just a mouse.

my favorite surface is the arm of my couch. Nothing better than using a free cordless mouse and keyboard courtesy of Logitech to surf the net from my couch.

Silversinksam said:
I strongly disagree, I use a MX500 and a Xtrac Pro HS and a Zoom and they work exceptionally well together. My MX700 also has no problems working on this Xtrac Pro HS mousepad. In fact Xtrac pads are exceptional. Your mouse may have a bad sensor.

I have seen this problem before with people using MX700's and Wireless Keyboards, changing the mouses channel or Keyboards channel usually always solved this issue. Since your situation is not that, I'm inclined to think its your mouses sensor.

well i also have a microsoft basic optical mouse that i have used in the past and it also had problems using the x-trac zoom, but when i moved back to the wooden desk as the mouse surface, the cursor would shoot around much less

I used to just use my desk too, that is until I started wearing a mark in the wood. So I got myself a cheap mousemat I would rather wear a hole in that than my desk! :D

I personally have not tested the X-Trac series of mouse pads, however I have heard good things of them. As SSS has stated, it may be your laser. I know that optical lasers in your mouse get picky about reflective surfaces and will jump around like crazy.

I have a X-trac Pad and they start off really nice but the backing seperates from the surface after a while such as a year. When it was new my Intelimouse 3.0 Loved it, great tracking and slick very slick.

Silversinksam said:

Right at the bottom.
http://www.xtracpads.com/support.htm

There is a problem with new Logitec Mice and Xtrac pads.

Back