• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fluctuating CPU speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karsta

I've noticed lately that Motherboard monitor reports sometimes 3 MHz higher CPU speed than normally. I haven't seen this happening before. CPU speed is normally 868 MHz but now for some reason 871 MHz - it changed during the time computer has been on. Computer's clock also gains some time if it has any relevance (this has been going at least the time I've been overclocking).
I think that there is also bigger differences and fluctuations between core voltages (maybe GF3 takes too much power for mobo to handle it efficiently).
These and continuing 3D stability problems at 868 MHz have gotten me a bit worried about the condition of the mobo.

Has anyone else seen this fluctuating processor speed phenomenon?

MBM070801.gif

Like anything dealing with electricity, CPU throughput is somewhat unstable. Current can fluctuate because of a number of different things ranging from impurities in the components used to carry that current to the temperatures it is operating at...voltages do the same thing.

I can watch several different monitors I have and they all will fluctuate within about 2-3MHz both ways hundreds of times in a few hours time. This goes for every PC I own and that everyone owns.

If you were having fluctuations of well over 5M-10MHz then it may be reason for concern. It's a normal thing.

I know clock's are known for being off as well CV will definatly fluctuate but ive never had my CPU speed change and i check often, I would think it would be a software problem more so then a hardware one but its really a toss up either way, i think i would try another program to measure CPU speed and see if its close to your MBM as Jon said it should be nothing to worry about. By the way how did that VIO mod work out for you overall, did you get any extra MHZ out of it?

OK, good to hear that it's normal. Like Outhouse suggested it can be due to software. I have updated my MBM to 5.08 about month ago.

The VIO mod works well! I've been using 3.66V after it normally. For test purposes it has been good. Currently I have no need to rise the voltage though. As memory prizes are ridiculously low I bought a 256 MB brick PC133 RAM - mainly because I wanted to see if ducting would help cooling the CPU. As I have Slotket, 3 bricks of memory were too much in way to even try. Anyway ducting didn't help (92 mm fan on the sidepanel and 80 mm on HS).

How about you Outhouse - do you still have intentions to try it (or made already)?

I would like to try but i think i would need Placids help in getting the specs for my chip so that i actualy solder on to the rite leg, the only way i will try is if I can solder on one of the legs as my reistors are so small I know i dont have the skill to make it fly. also as much as a hate to admit [i give you a ton of credit for this] I could not figure it out to get exactly what i need for voltage it was just a hair over my head :) LOL but i do understand whats going on i guess i just have not taken the plunge yet.

Outhouse - I would be glad to help you if there is anything I can do.

What is the name of your converter?

Sorry for late response but I was 2 days in Tartu (Estonia) in some seminar. (And was waiting to get back home - I finally got PEP66T). I suspect that my 3D instability problems may be due to BX chipset. My current HS/fan is so large that fan (80mm) is touching the top of chipset fan thus restricting its airflow. Otherwise that HS mod keeps my CPU cool. I hope that PEP66T will confirm this. Maybe more about that after I have had time to try (just got home. Its 5 am here).

You know its so small i could not see it with just my eyes i will have to get a magnifying glass to find out. Thats why i think i will ask Placid if he knows or atleast he should have a link to a place i can find specs on the chip. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP! I still hold you in a high place for being the first to pull off a VIO mod. I'll get back to this post soon.

OK. Hope you can get it figured out. I searched for VIO for your mobo with google but got only some japanese pages which didn't seem to give the name of the converter.

It seems that Alpha with Sunon GM1206PTVX-A (26.2 CFM) got my CPU stable with 868 MHZ!! Or should I say motherboard with 124 MHz. Exhaust from PEP goes directly to the BX fan which helps to keep it reasonably cool. Right now I can't measure CPU temps because I will not make a groove for thermistor (about 3mm thick) in the bottom of the HS. Have to find some other measuring solution.

I'm sure you may be aware but you could always drill a hole in your HS, also Sisandra will read your temps from within the core so will MBM 5.

Yep, I know. Bad thing with this mobo is that it doesn't support on-die temp sensoring - only thermistor. It actually lacks the traces which carry the temp information from slot 1. I have tried to wire the slot (connectors B14/B15) to thermistor header on mobo, but it gives wrong temperatures (about -40°).

I think I will drill a hole through the heatsink. I need a thermoelement and some thermometer for that because a thermistor is way too big. I was today on local electronics shop where they told me that thermoelement costs about 100 FIM!(about 14.7 USD) - and then I should get or build the thermometer and display (doubles the prize). I'm going to search the net for solutions for this. Maybe I even find some cheaper supplier.

Stupid me!

If I have to build a thermometer I can use the CPU's diode as probe! I don't have to buy that overprized piece of wire at all!

Now I have to find an article about that. I don't know enough to plan it myself. I vaguely remember that somebody did something like this. Another thing -I can skip the the LCD display if I connect the circuit to some port of the computer. Have to search for that also.

Back