• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gentoo and knoppix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trip0d

alright..quick question here..i was reading the alternate way to install gentoo using knoppix..which im on right now actually

when it says to go to step 6 where im assuming its 6. Installing the Gentoo Base System in the handbook this wont effect a stage 1 install will it? also from the previous steps of partitioning and filesystem how is that done through knoppix?

Please elaborate.

I don't think installing gentoo from Knoppix will affect a stage 1 gentoo install. But I also don't think stage 1 is really necessary unless you want the extra work/learning experience.

Knoppix has cfdisk and mkfs among other utilites that can be used to create, format, or resize partitions, the same as gentoo.

Once you have partitioned and formatted and unpacked your base system stage tarball, you chroot to the filesystem on your hard drive so that you are no longer using knoppix for your root filesystem, but the fledgling gentoo base install instead.

Back