• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Much Help Pretty Please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

machu

Registered
Alright guys and gals. I believe that my puter is ****ed. I'm not sure what is wrong, but something has to be. OK, got an ABIT kt7a MB, t-bird 1.13, 256 pc133 crucial, radeon 32 DDR, & SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer 5.1. I finally got it up and running about a week ago....no problems (played Counter-Strike for a while). Then about 2 nights ago, I began installing programs....then I ran into mucho problems. During some installations, my puter would either freeze or give me I/O errors consistently. Then after I got a few installed...I started up and got REGISTRY errors. So I wiped the d*** hard drive and tried to start anew with 98...ever since then, my computer keeps freezing during installation of drivers. And this is AFTER I tried installing ME with the same problems (I went back to 98). WTF IS WRONG!?!?!?!? SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a heat problem to me. The errors your getting are most likely becuase you're cpu is overheating. Are you using the stock heat sink and fan? Thermal grease?

Download Motherboard Monitor or check your BIOS CPU temps. Can you tell us what your cpu temps are?

Most likely you will need to buy a better heatsink and fan unit.

Let us know more about the hsf unit you are using and your cpu temps...that'll help solve the problem.

Mike

It wasn't overheating as far as I could tell. I've got ASII and a Thermaltake Volcano II hsf on it and last I checked, temp was around 107F....which from what I know of isn't that hot....at least not hot enough to cause major problems. And I think when I first started getting these problems I checked the temps and the cpu core temp was around 96.

Hmmm both 96f and 107f seem pretty low for a Volcano II...those might be reading a bit low, but still even if the mobo's thermister was off by 10f you should still be ok temp wise.

What kind of power supply are you using? It may not have enough power to keep things happy. Some 300watt power supplies really don't deserve to be marked as such. Check your voltages and make sure they are ok. Also, you are running at default speed right? Maybe try underclocking a bit to see if you gain any stability...ofcourse not to stay that way, just as a means of troubleshooting.

Mike

Also....during boot, I noticed under the device listing that down on the list, next to "Input Device" it states that its IRQ is "NA". Is this a problem??

I'm using a POS 300W supply but not overclocking at all...that may be a problem. It's those damn I/O errors that got me all ****ed up. And why the registry errors would all of a sudden pop up. I'm thinking that my ****ty HD may be a problem also.......to save some time and replies...the HD is a western digital 10 gig POS (that was last on my list of upgrades). So when I get the new supplies, what should I do to make my computer bare assed and blank. I already flashed the BIOS to 3R....

dude, you MAY want to try and running a Thorough on it using scan disk. Have you ever cranked up your FSB while using this Hard Drive? It might be dieing.

One thing you can try is turning on the S.M.A.R.T. hard drive monitor in the bios and see if it gives ya errors.

Sound to me like that drive MIGHT be dieing.

hope all is well

Scan on

Rob

try moving your SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer 5.1. to slot 5 and your modem to slot 3 might make a difference :D

you might want to put stuff like this in general hardware:D

Kat, I am not sure if it is a hardware problem or software problem. For now, I think I'll leave it right here. Perhaps later if it gets nailed down a little tighter, I will move the thread.

Anthony

I got some strange errors when I flashed to 3r I went back to zt and everything cleared up. Can you get windows to install if you remove every thing but the video card? Check to make sure that nothing is sharing IRQ's

The bios isn't the problem YET. I flashed it AFTER all the problems occurred. I still have no idea why my Input Device's IRQ is NA...this is worrying me a little.

Do you have your BIOS set to "non plug and play" OS? Is the BIOS assignong the interrupts, or is the OS doing it? If it is the BIOS, set it to plug and play and try again, and vice versa.

It may also be something as simple as re-installing the 4-in-1s, maybe to an older version. I know that my IDE controller was giving me fits during one of my installs, and I realized I forgot to install the 4-in-1s.

Well the PSU might be suspect. Do the voltages look ok?

Try assigning IRQ's in the bios to your SB card and Modem too, like Kat mentioned.

Also, I'd reccomend what Shep said...try installing and running windows with only your hdd, cdrom, and video card installed. If that works then add your other peripherals one by one and see if you stay good...you may find after adding one that you lose stability and that could be your problem.

But do check the voltages, it seems like you were running ok and then something crapped out...your p/s may be dying or just junk. I had some supposed 300watt pos p/s's running on 500mhz slot A's here, and one of em just sorta "gave up", lol, it was pretty new too...

Unless your getting hangups, your hard drive is probably just fine. What kind of register errors are you talking about? You mean the ones you get when you go into windows? Those are common when your not running completely stable. i.e. if you overclock, you might post, but get registry errors in windows. Anyway, the registry errors just point to instability, which can be cuased by an insufficient or bad PSU.

Mike

OK, tell me if this looks funny or not...it's my Device Listing during boot.............................................................

Bus# Dev# Func# Vendor Device Class Device Class IRQ

0 7 1 1106 0571 0101 IDE Cont. 14
0 7 2 1106 3038 0C03 Ser. Bus Cont 11
0 7 3 1106 3038 0C03 Ser. Bus Cont 11
0 9 0 1209 1006 0780 Simp. Com Cont 9
0 11 0 1050 0940 0200 Netwrk Cont 11
0 13 0 1102 0002 0401 Multimedia 5
0 13 1 1102 7002 0980 Input Device NA
1 0 0 1002 5144 0300 Disp. Cont 10
ASCPI Cont 11

wow, I hope you guys can figure that out...I didn't expect it to look like crap. Also, do the 4 in 1's uninstall/overwrite automatically when installing a newer version?

I've had these types of problems with bad memory. I assume you're using 133Mhz clock memory? If you are try underclocking it to 100Mhz in the BIOS. If it works fine at 100Mhz then your memory isn't running at spec and you'll need to return it.

can't underclock it...no way that I know how in my bios anyway. Least it'll go is 133.

I had the same problem a few months back. My problem was the 686B and sblive bug. Have you tried running it without the soundcard?

I took me over a month to get my system stable (had to wait on patchs and such). I can now run stable with my sblive though using the updated bios and the via 4.32 drivers take away one or the other and I get crash after crash.

The 686b bug is known to cause lockups during large file transfers usually over 100MBs and during 3d gaming.

You can also try the George Breeze Patch. I believe but am not sure that you can still download that from via.

"Then about 2 nights ago, I began installing programs....then I ran into mucho problems. During some installations, my puter would either freeze or give me I/O errors consistently. Then after I got a few installed...I started up and got REGISTRY errors. So I wiped the d*** hard drive and tried to start anew with 98...ever since then, my computer keeps freezing during installation of drivers. And this is AFTER I tried installing ME with the same problems (I went back to 98). WTF IS WRONG!?!?!?!? SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!"

This is almost me story to a T. There were many a day when I was ready to take the damn thing and beat it with a sledge hammer. All I can say is keep the faith it will come together.

machu said:
Alright guys and gals. I believe that my puter is ****ed. I'm not sure what is wrong, but something has to be. OK, got an ABIT kt7a MB, t-bird 1.13, 256 pc133 crucial, radeon 32 DDR, & SoundBlaster Live X-Gamer 5.1. I finally got it up and running about a week ago....no problems (played Counter-Strike for a while). Then about 2 nights ago, I began installing programs....then I ran into mucho problems. During some installations, my puter would either freeze or give me I/O errors consistently. Then after I got a few installed...I started up and got REGISTRY errors. So I wiped the d*** hard drive and tried to start anew with 98...ever since then, my computer keeps freezing during installation of drivers. And this is AFTER I tried installing ME with the same problems (I went back to 98). WTF IS WRONG!?!?!?!? SOMEBODY HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

I am not sure that you got the problem fixed but I had a problem like this with a IBM motherboard and I had to pull all cards but the Video. Reboot wipe HD then start from scratch, I got the thing working with video only. Then I added one card at a time and found that two cards were trying to share same IRQ and these cards used system at the same time all the time. After moving things around and getting the cards IRQ's straitened out Sytem works fine, and I have had it running for 4 years now problem free.

In running your system with only video card you can see if PS is good, Bios is acting OK, Mem is running with good bus speeds.

I know it is a pain but Eleminating the other cards sometimes makes the picture very clear.

Back