• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

considering a shuttle system, have some ?'s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rs600cubed

Im growing bored of my large, loud syatem in my room and am considering getting a shuttle or equivilant system. I want to use the parts in my sig and use my system for gaming and dvd burning, music, etc. I am wondering if these systems power supplies are powerful enough to power everything, motherboards are good enough to perform as well as my current system and if they are quiet. I like the idea because I just got my 17" lcd so if I were to get one it would be easy to take somewhere if i wanted.

If all you want is noise reduction, you have a wealth of cooling options available. My primary recommendations being the Zalmam CNPS7000A-cu or the Thermalright SP-94 w/ an adjustable ENERMAX 92mm fan.

While I am a fan of protability, it's not the right choice for everybody. Especially not for someone that
a) does not want to feel tied to one brand of motherboard
b) wants multiple hard drives in a system
c) wants to overclock w/ high performance cooling
d) doesn't want to be space limited when shopping for upgrades
e) wants the latest and greatest in video card options to keep up with newer games

The Shuttle, Biostar, MSI, and AMS (only ones I have heard good reviews of) will all be able to power the parts you have and want to swap. But be mindful of the fact that each one has their own part standards and will prevent you from being able to swap out motherboards if you do have a problem or compatability issue.

Also, a number of the barebones units have been know to have compatability and spacing issues with video cards, so make sure you reasearch that before making a decision.

If you get one of Shuttle's XPCs with a 240/250w PSU, then you should be fine (power-wise).

Captain slug:

A) True, except some (most?) people don't upgrade their mobos more often than their platform (CPU/Mem, etc.).
B) ?! Explain. You can have 2 hard drives in just about any SFF, and in this case that's all the poster has.
D) While this is true to some extent, you can fit everything the vast majority of the enthusiast community needs in an SFF. DVD Burner, high-end video, quality audio. The higher-end SFFs have integrated SATA RAID, network, and sound (if you feel like swapping a TV tuner for a PCI sound card).
E). As long as it has a single-slot cooling solution, it will fit (except for a few FX5900s with right-angle power connectors). Power *might* be an issue down the road, but that is still up in the air.

I left C) for last, because this is the clincher:

What voltage are you running your 2.8C at? If it's stock, or very close to stock, then you'll be fine in an SFF. BUT, you'll be able to overclock farther, and with less noise/mhz in a tradition ATX system.

If all you want is performance and quiet, then an SFF is probably not for you. Instead just get a good HSF like CaptainSlug said and relax. If portability is at all important to you, then look seriously at SFFs. I'm biased because I take mine somewhere at least once a week, but being able to fit your entire high-end system, keyboard, mouse, and cables in a small backpack is great.

Back