• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Al Fans and a fan controller... need help...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark_15

Drunken Master JNCIE Senior
Directron Fan Offer
Directron Fan Controller Offer
Directron 3-Pin Gender Changer Offer
Directron 3-4 Pin Power Connector Offer

I am revamping my cooling system for my computer in my sig... I want it a little cooler (and maybe quieter with a fan controller) so I can OC my machine a little more...

Currently, I have five (5) 80mm case fans that are generic fans... bought all of them for about $3.50. Two are in the front, Two are in the back, and one is on the side. My case (raidmax scorpio 868 ) supports seven (7) total fans.
I was planning to buy 2 of the fans from Directron and put those in the back as exhaust fans. They would connect directly to my motherboard and their speed would be controlled by mobo's Q-Fan controller.
The leftover fans would go in either the front or the side. My case can support 4 total fans in the front and 1 on the side. For the fans to work properly with the fan controller listed above, all the fans need a 3-4 pin converter as well as a 3-pin gender changer. I currently have two (2) 3-4 pin converters.

Question One: How do these look for prices?
Question Two: Do the fans from Directron come with what is shown in the picture?
Question Three: Am I crazy for doing this?

Thank you guys for helping me with this and for answering all of my qustions in the past... it has saved me from making several foolish decisions... Thanx a million!

Well, the fan controller does not look bad, and I am not sure if you will need all those adapters, it looked like some came with the fan controller.

The fan however, kinda sucks. I recomend you get Thermal Take's Smart Case Fan 2. They just redid their lineup, check out the orange link in my sig. These fans move the most air for the noise they make. A very high CFM to noise ratio. They also come with temp probes, or you can adjust it manually. It comes with a rheostat thingy so you would not have to buy a fan controller, AND they come with the 3 to 4 pin adapter. I would definatly get those.

They are great fans and not only that, but you would not have to pay for a fan controller or the adapters!

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

I have heard bad things about the TT SF II... about the blades breaking easily and something about not going as fast as they should...
Besides, I need the fan controller for the other 4-5 fans. I do not plan to buy all new fans, just add 2 more and control the rest.
Thx for the help tho...

Dark, looks like you just need a reverse 3 to 4 pin adapter..:) The rest looks ok,but I dont see what the wattage spec is on your fan controller choice..Have you removed the fan grids from your case yet..You need to wire all of your fans and lites to a dedicated line from the PSU...See sticky "no joke" :D You could get some nice quit Panaflo fans for the price of those you selected.Panaflo 80mm H1A's might be a better choice on your fan controller..Just an option..;)

CLICK HERE

Last edited:
Thx a million archilochus, I will take that into consideration... I thought the aluminum color looked cool and that's what caught my attention. The aluminum fans were going to be my exhaust fans which are connected to my motherboard: the mobo would handle the speed of those fans.
I just wanted to connect most of my intake fans to the controller to vary their speed... plus another shiny light in the front of my case just adds to the effect... lol
I plan on removing the grills off the fans once I received the additional fans... I get to have fun with the dremel tool! I just got rid of my old floppy and IDE cables and went to SATA and rounded IDE and Floppy cables... I plan to post pics once I get my mods finished... This should be a real air-cooled beast!

-EDIT-
Oh yeah, I saw that sticky... all I can say is dang! I plan on putting my lights and the fan controller onto one dedicated line and the drives and such on another line or two... I have a 420 Watt PSU and plenty of molex connectors, so I should be fine. Thanx again

one more question...
I just looked in my bin spare parts and 4 pin (molex) to 3 pin (male) converter... would I be able to hook up more than one fan to this connector and then connect this to my fan controller with the aid of a of a female 3 pin converter?

Here's a pic:
pin.jpg

thx a million (again), and already a step ahead of you...
how many fans should I hook up to this bad boy? No more than two or three?

Thats good that your ahead..We've got that noodle working.:) You need to find the capacity of the fan controller in watts per channel..I didn't see it listed...What are your needs or wants of the fan controller? It will depend on the total of the fans wattages and the controllers specs on watts per channel as to how many you can hook up safely per channel..:D

I just need something simple enough to turn up the fans when I am playing BF 1942 and the like, and turn it down when the parents the machine is idle... and also to see temps easily and quickly. I looked all over the web to find specs, but even the manufacturer's site didn't say much...oh well, I'll just try hooking up two fans per channel and see what it does...

Works for me, if it works for you...:) Don't forget to post those pics and temps...Please include, ambient(room), CPU, and case/ mobo. temps when you report them. Idle and load, help too!

I will make sure to do that. Thanx again for everything! I like these forums... and the madness... lol

Order will be sent probably 2morrow, and hopefully received in a week or so... I hope!

Here are the specs on your fans: :)
Features & Specifications: Dimensions: 80L x 80W x 25H mm. Voltage: DC 12V. Fan Speed: 2500 RPM. Current: 0.11A. Air Flow: Middle 32.4 CFM. Air Pressure: 2.48. Noise: <25 dBA. Input: 1.32 W. Bearing Type: One ball bearing.

The fan controller's site was not much of a help though:
here it is:
Fan Controller Link

BTW, thx again for your help! Where I would be if I didn't have ppl like you helping me...

Yeah,I checked all the reviews and they don't say anything about the watts per channel either..They all say its a good controller though..:) I personally won't buy one without knowing the specs..
Perhaps an email to the manufacturer! :D Your welcome,I enjoy helping..:cool:

MUST READ :p

Back