• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P8X Comments and Concerns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Floataris

Registered
Hi everyone, glad to have joined the forums. I am not new to computers, and I have been trying for nearly 6 months to overclock my machine (see below). My main concern is with my mobo, the P4P8X with the 865P chipset.

I have noticed that most intel users here like the P4P800 (is that right?) and was wondering if I had made a major mistake in my purchase, and was basically screwed for good. Because my board is not the OC'ing mobo of choice here, it has been difficult to find resources to aid my struggle. I cant seem to clock it above 2.73GHz and successfully boot. Which is sad considering I have a 2.6C. Is it just my board? Or is there something wrong with the compatitbility of the speeds of my parts.

Two more things: What is a "PAT Hack" and what do the numbers mean when someone says their memory timings are, for example 1:2:3:6, or something.

I understand that this entire post is likely ridiculous, considering the obvoius expertise of the majority here. Any help you could offer would just be splendid. Forum moderators, If I am posted in an improper directory, please feel free to remove this post.

Thank you,
Floataris

the P4P8X is not design to run at 800FSB as indicated on the Asus website, it only allows 800FSB cpu to be used when the northbridge is OC. Therefore, it would do 800FSB fine, but not much more.

It's like DDR333, u might be able to use it in 400MHz mode...but that doesn't mean u can increase the speed any further...

Uh oh. Thats pretty rough, I'm actually thinking of switching this summer once I get some cash, thanks for the reply dude! Does any body have answers to my other 2 questions? However noobish they may be? Thanks

Floataris

Does your board allow you to change the dividers? Because if your trying to raise the fsb with a divider of 1:1/400mhtz then that might be whats holding you back from getting a higher fsb. If you go to your jumper free configuration you should be able to find the dividers in there if the board has that option. If you change the divider to 5:4/320mhtz you will be able to get the fsb higher.

No I don't think mine does let me change those, or does it? I dunno I'm kinda noob. I'll try that though. How is the P4P800 anyways? I wanna switch bad now. It lets you change the dividers right?

It's a nice board and yes you can change the dividers. If it was me and i did i would get the p4p800 deluxe!!

Back