• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ordering tomorrow, need final opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eponym

Registered
I currently have an Athlon 2000+, 512MB PC-2100, GF2 MX 64MB setup, which is crap. :)

Anyway, I'm going to order some new hardware for my new rig tomorrow and I just want to know what you guys think. I do intend to overclock a bit.

Motherboard: ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS 512MB DDR PC-3200
Vid Card: ATI Radeon 128MB 9800PRO
HDD: Samsung 120GB SATA (or a Seagate, still not sure)
PSU: Antec True Control 550W

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

First of Welcome To The Forum !

Id say thats gonig to be a very nice upgrade from where you are at now. nice Video Card pick.

You gonig to get Retail CPU or OEM , if OEM what you gonig to use for cooling

Thanks for the welcome. :D

I'm getting a retail CPU, but I'm open for heatsink recommendations.

I think I'm going to overclock, but nothing huge.

I'm not a big fan of WD.

A64 setups are not great overclockers (due to lack of chipset with PCI and AGP locks), but they're already fast enough at stock.

If you want a different HSF get the SLK-948U from Thermalright. It's currently the best A64 heatsink on the market (and will be until they come out witht the SP-98).

I would personally go for a Western Digital HD. I've found mine to be very reliable (my grandpa's 486 has one that's still going strong to this day (yes, he has upgraded but keeps this one around)).

I've used a couple of WD HDs in the past, they both died on me. I even tried Maxtors, but they were too noisy. Right now I'm using a Samsung and it's fast and quiet. I'm a noisefreak.

The Thermalright SLK-948U , is a good heatsink for the Athlon 64 chip

since your going to overclock , the ratail warrinty will be no good. since overclocking voilds it. thats why some peolpe buy OEM. since they know there going to clock it. and to save lil bit to puy towards a nice heatsink

its really up to you goodluck with it

I know overclocking will void the retail warranty, but I'm not going to overclock the CPU (or anything else for that matter) immediatly. I'm going to wait a good 5-7 months before I do, maybe sooner for the video card. Once I've gotten enough of the stock speeds, I'll OC everything. Prices would have dropped big-time by then, and I would've saved up on some cash, so if anything bites the dust, I'd probably replace it.

Thanks for your suggestion though! :)

Anyone else have anything to say?

Definitely look towards a Seagate or Samsung if you want a quiet hdd. Try to get something with an 8MB buffer if you can, and fluid dynamic bearings. Good luck in your system build! -- Paul

WD is great about replacing drives quickly that are too noisy for your tastes (my taste-line was crossed w/ a bit of grinding in the first week... bad drive i guess)...

overall I'd recommend them since my experience with em' has been great in the past

Welocme to the fourms

Looks good to me. Definatly a aprovment over what you have now. What are you planning as far as cooling and type of case? Feel free to ask any more ?s. That's what we are here for. ;) Report back on the results when done!

Back