• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions/advices/suggestions for parts on a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foxz88

Registered
Hi! This is my first post on overclocks.com and I'm seeking advices / opinions for the new computer I am planning to build at the end of May.
I know I could wait a bit for the AM2 socket or the Conroe from Intel but I'm no sure it's worth the wait. I would prefer buying a very good system now and change almost everything in 3 years.
I want to overclock it on air so I tried to choose every parts according to that. I'm selling my old computer so I wont be taking parts from it. I made a lot of research for the parts but I need a second opinion!

Processor:
----------
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ 939 MANCESTER OR
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ 939 TOLEDO

Which is better for overclocking? I wanted to go with the FX but it is way to expensive and I can't get a Optie 165

Heatsink:
---------
THERMALRIGHT XP-120 with Panaflo 120 mm 2500RPM 104CFM 41.5DBA

Is their something better below 100$

Case:
-----
THERMALTAKE Soprano

I don't want to spend to much on a case and this one come with 2X120mm fan and 1X92mm fan.

Memory:
-------
OCZ OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K 2Gb EL DDR PC3200 PLATINUM SERIES DC KIT (CL 2-3-2-5 ) OR
OCZ OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K 2Gb EL DDR PC-4000 GOLD SERIES GAMERS eXtreme DC KIT (3-4-3)

I think the platinum would be better for overclocking?

Motherboard:
------------
DFI LP UT NF4 ULTRA-D

Video Card:
-----------
SAPPHIRE ATI Radeon X1900XT PCI-E 512MB DDR3

Hard Drive:
-----------
2 X SEAGATE 160GB BARRACUDA 7200.9 SATA-II 3.5LP 8.5MS 7200RPM 8MB 3GB/S in RAID 0

Power Supply:
-------------
OCZ POWERSTREAM 520 Watt Power Stream SLI

I would have prefer a powersupply with a 120mm fan and modular connectors. Any suggestion?

DVD Drive:
----------
NEC DVD+-RW ND-3550A 16x Dual layer Black

Monitor:
--------
DELL - UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD

Did I forget something? Any comments, opinions, suggestions?

Thank you,

Ben

If you are planning on just overclocking then you are fine. Although I would get a differnet heatsink. The xp120/ BTs I always see some seriously high CPU temps one systems that have those. My arcticc cooling freezer pro64 is the most expensive HS/F I have ever purchased and My load temps are around 42C on a Oced 4200. (2.6GHz)

If you are looking for an all purpose rig, go wit hthe 4400 (extra L2) the Plat RAM (low timings) and get a differnet PSU. A TP2 EPS from antec would be a good start. OCZ makes good RAM. Leave it at that.

Nice video card!

Mobo.. .eh. Might want too look into one of those crossfire boards so that you grab a 2nd 1900 in a year or two. :) New radeon chipset is out :)

A8R32-MVP Deluxe

Yes maybe the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe would be a better choice if I want to add a second card in the future and it had good review for overclocking. + The price for the 4400+ will have time to go down a bit.

ANTEC NEO HE550 550W

Would the ANTEC NEO HE550 550W be a good choice? I did not found a lot of serious review with a SLI setup. I really like the fact that it is modular...

Welcome to the Forums!!!!

That is a great setup for a first time poster! I know the first time I posted I had everything wrong. Everything looks good. Only recommendation would be to get an Opteron 165 or 170.

Opteron

Thanks. It's not the first computer I build but I'm very careful with this one. I want the best parts for the $$$.

I would prefer an Opteron 165 or 170 but I'm not sure if I will be able to buy one from ncix at the end of May. Aren't they discontinuated? :shrug:

foxz88 said:
Thanks. It's not the first computer I build but I'm very careful with this one. I want the best parts for the $$$.

I would prefer an Opteron 165 or 170 but I'm not sure if I will be able to buy one from ncix at the end of May. Aren't they discontinuated? :shrug:

I am guessing since you are shopping at www.ncix.com that you are in Canada? Really the only place that I know that sells them is ZipZoomFly, and Monarch Computers. However, I am not sure if they ship to Canada but you might check.

I just checked at ncix and they have both the Opteron 165 and 170 in stock.

Opteron 165 $363.24 CAD

Opteron 170 $519.80 CAD

I would go with the 165, with decent cooling you can probably get within 500-1000mHz of the 170's top over clock, and the price difference is huge.

Back