• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for a Ryzen 1700X Heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notarat

So I finally decided to build a Ryzen system and have the following parts in my cart:

• MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 ATX Motherboard (B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit – White (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W)
  • NZXT S340 Mid Tower Computer Case, White (CA-S340W-W1) by Nzxt
  • AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (YD170XBCAEWOF) by AMD
  • Windows 10 Professional Edition 64 Bit OEM (NEW ) by Microsoft
  • ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Compound Paste, Carbon Based High Performance, Heatsink Paste, Thermal Compound CPU for All Coolers, Thermal Interface Material - 4 Grams by ARCTIC

I'll be re-using the following parts:

Titan X
EVGA 850W PSU
4Tb Mechanical HDD
1 or 2 SSDs and/or OCZ/Toshiba RD400 PCI Express SSD
50" 4K TV

Then I realized I still need a decent heat sink...

Suggestions?

I've heard some of the Corsair(?) coolers have screws that are too long so I don't want to run into that issue. I want something that works out the box.

I'll probably be overclocking the system...but I am more interested in it being quiet than in squeezing out every last Hz of an overclock.

The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is always a good bet. Should fit in your case.

The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo is always a good bet. Should fit in your case.

I just looked at that cooler on Amazon but their entry on Amazon states the AM4 mounting bracket "is available at Coolermaster", so it evidently doesn't ship with it...

This one is AM4 compatible. I used it on a Ryzen build for my wife recently. It's in the same cooling power class as the CM Hyper 212+: https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-...&sr=1-1&keywords=thermaltake+contac+silent+12 Nice cooler, really quiet. The only issue I had with it was that Thermaltake used some sticky adhesive to hold the protective plastic cover on the copper base. I had to do some vigorous scrubbing with a cloth and rubbing alcohol to get rid of it.

I needed a cooler early on for AM4 and there wasn't much available out of the box. I ended up getting the Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 normally I wouldn't spend that much on an air cooler but man is it quiet and easily handles the max speed of the CPU. One problem with this cooler is you'll need a bracket kit to use it on anything but AM4 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAADY5BC1607

I like the Coolermaster 212x for the price. It is AM4 compatible so long as you don't get old inventory. Why the 212x over the EVO? The fans are upgraded and are much quieter.

I like the Coolermaster 212x for the price. It is AM4 compatible so long as you don't get old inventory. Why the 212x over the EVO? The fans are upgraded and are much quieter.

So if you go with this one make sure you read the product description to make sure you get the updated version that includes the AM4 bracket.

I made some changes from the initial parts list, which necessitated further changes so the final list looks like

Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 premium-grade 120mm tower CPU cooler (no compatibility worries here)
Asrock Taichi X370
GSkill Flare X Series DDR4 3200
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

with the previously-mentioned Ryzen 1700X

It will give me a chance to pull my Toshiba OCZ RD400 Series Solid State Drive PCIe NVMe M.2 512GB off the shelf and use it as the OS Drive if possible and use some of my spare HDDs

I can put the STRIX in this system and put my Titan X back into my older system because...I gotta be honest here...the STRIX is a horrible card. I'm not the least bit impressed with it. P.O.E. stutters and I get screen blank outs since installing the STRIX. I know I have a great HDMI cable so I should not be losing signal like this.

All noctua coolers are good for this CPU. Ryzen doesn't need any special cooling what is great if we compare it with FX generation ;)
Cryorig is adding AM4 mounting kit to their coolers but it's shipped separately for some of them ( free, just have to register product and ask them for shipping ). H7 Quad Lumi has AM4 mounting kit in the box. It also looks nice if you like RGB LEDs ;) Handles 7700K without issues so with Ryzen will work good too.
All new Enermax coolers have AM4 kit too ( for sure all AIO ).

Back