• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

70mm Fan Adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dead_man311 said:
Cool ,

what are your system specs and temps now

to compare it to the new fan when you get it

2.8C@stock speed / foxconn i865pe board / 1GB OCZ PC3200 /antec 835 w/ 5fans plus 2 in p.s.

currently i am @ 39C/idle, case @32C and room @83F. i just put on a new HSF that was incorrectly shipped to me. i was supposed to get this with the 6000rpm fan but got the slow fan instead. this slow fan version currently cools about as good as the stock hsf.

i received the 70mm -> 92mm adapter and fan today and installed it. with my heatsink, the adapter wouldn't fit because of the way the heatsink is attached to the mounts, they stick up too far thus bumping into the sides of the adapter. i took the old 70mm fan, cut the fan out of it and used it as spacer to mount the adapter on. this does work but the fan is far off of the heatsink and i am a little worried about a 92mm fan being so far out. i will monitor closely. i mounted it all and i must say the fan spinning @ 3000rpm took the idel temp down to 37C with a 32C case and under prime95 the max full load temp was only 48-50C. i was hitting about 58-60C under full load with the stock unit and a little higher with the 2500 rpm 70mm fan so it definately did some good. :)

a quick question -> are there any problems running a 92mm fan @ 3000rpm on the m/b cpu fan header? or should i get an adapter to run it to a regular hdd pwr adapter?

:)

You'll prob. be ok, as that 92mm Enermax pulls 0.28 amps/ 3.36 watts. Just a little over a quarter of an amp..Please, read the sticky in the link below..Its safer to use a dedicated line from the PSU for your fans and lites..:)

CLICK HERE

thanks for the info. after i posted i found a adapter that had an rpm line for the m/b and connected it to my dedicated "fan" line :)

man_utd said:
I have the 6000RPM version, man is that thing one hell of a vacuum. Trust me, your better off without it.

i was kind of bummed when they f*cked my order, but this way works ok. when you turn the fan down to ~1500rpm, you can't hear it at all and the temps only go up a little. for some unknown reason, i find the hum of the fans soothing so i have it all the way up.

do any of you think having the fan off the m/b so far will give me any problems with it breaking a mount or anything?

Those adapters are usually 1 inch deep..As long as its securely mounted it won't be a problem. I have a 25mm = 1" ..92mm fan body as a spacer on my SP-94 HS. :)

archilochus said:
Those adapters are usually 1 inch deep..As long as its securely mounted it won't be a problem. I have a 25mm = 1" ..92mm fan body as a spacer on my SP-94 HS. :)

i have the old 70mm fan body as the first spacer, then the adapter and then the fan. so the fan is probably about 2" off the m/b.

with all the problems i should have just bought a sp94, especially since they are only $35 now. i still might....

If your concerned about the weight, you can prob. support it from your PSU case..You want to make it servicable,so you can clean the HS and fan. Might I recommend some Velcro..Glue a tab to the fans body and to the psu case. Use the strap to go between the two..
Tabs = hook part of velcro
Strap = what the hooks grab :D

excellet idea, i think i have some of those apc velcro straps you get when you buy their ups. i left the grill on the 92mm fan so i could loop it around it and the bar that is under the ps in the case :)

Good idea, but the grill impedes air flow to your HS. No need to run a grill on the inside of the case..Removing the grill will quieten the fan and you need all the pressure you can get with 2 spacers..:)

Back