• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Methinks it is time to watercool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
I can't hear over my Volcano 11 heatsink/fan anymore, even at low RPM, and I'm not happy with the performance. So instead of doing the logical thing for me---finding better air cooling---I'm going to go near-silent.

I wanna watercool my rig.

The kit that appeals to me is the Swiftech kit with the 80-mm radiator. This is my first cooling project and I would prefer to get something tried and true that has good performance and is easy to leakproof, and is also somewhat maintenance free. Thus the swiftec-closed-loop thing.

I come to you asking for help:

1) I'm going to cool the chipset and CPU with this. Thinking of doing it in serial (pump->radiator->cpu->chipset), with perhaps a second 80mm radiator installed with Y-adapters. Swiftec says that radiators in parallel are reccomended for high performance, so it sounds good to me. Any suggestions on the dual-rad setup? Any case-installable kits that are better than the Swiftec, but still are "zero-maintenence" and simple to leakproof?

2) My case at the moment is a hulking ThermalTake Xaser-III. I've got a crapload of stuff in there and there isn't much room to run cables. I currently have three hard drives and two opticals in there and it is difficult to work on the interior of the case. Of the watercoolable cases mentioned in the WC Cases sticky, which one would you reccomend?

3) Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance. I wanna be silent!

look at my thread. It's a "kit" but it is really just boxed components. It will be about the same skill required, and I believe you will get better temps and lower sound with that since it is a larger rad.(no need for two) and it's 120mm

Though the thing is on that it has a reservoir--I would rather not have to mess with one of those, the swiftec closed-loop (sans reservoir) is tickling me in all the right places because it can be easily leakproofed. Additionally this swiftec setup allows me to make these changes with as little physical change (i.e. cutting) to the case as possible.

That, and there's really no place to stick in a 120-mm radiator save the forward drive bays...which i need to keep.

ooh, well with those issues, that setup could be just perfect. Try and make mock pieces and set them in there to see how much you have to cut. Then try it with the 120mm rad and see which suits you better.

I have the D-tek kit w/ the WW and L30. I personally think you should buy that as it will give you MUCH better performance and allow your computer to run almost silent. I can run at 1.85vcore and turn off all the fans (PSU included) in my system and the LOAD temp is only 50c!

And yes, you can run without a resivoir. I scrapped the resivoir in my kit and converted to a T-line. You simply need to buy a T connector from D-tek at the time you buy your kit.

Also, buy an EXTRA 120mm EVERCOOL fan (make your own shroud. I personally sealed off the front of my case and used that space aas a shroud. Note, they DO INCLUDE ONE SHROUD.) They run dead silent when turned down (NO motor noise AT ALL) and if you run the rad in a push/pull setup with the dual evercool's, you can have low temps and SILENCE.

One last note: If you do leak water over your system, and you probably will, you'll be fine as long as it's unplugged and you let it dry. I leaked all kinds of water over my system, then I found out I was supposed to use hose clamps. I also, spilled water on one of my 120mm fans and din't know it. Turned the system on and sprayed water all over the Mobo and Vid card. Luckily it was deionzied water and nothing shorted. :D

Well, you can still have a silent rig with 80mm rads. Infact, at low speeds, 80mm fans are often more quiet than 120's thanks to the ultra precise motors being used by several compamies. Another benefit of using 80's is the fact you no longer need a shroud. YEAH!!! I also believe that 80mm fans usually have higher static pressure than 120's which is good when blowing air through a restrictive rad. (I'm checking on this now)

Infact, if I were you, I'd mount an Areo blower ($7.99 each at SVC, http://www.svc.com/comaaeseblfa.html ) on each rad. They're quiet at only 23dba and should push plenty of air through the limited surface area of the 80mm rads. Normal (axial) 80mm fans would miss the the center of the rads and cause your temps to rise. Also, they don't provide the static pressure that blowers do.

To keep your system quiet, I sugest a sunbeam rheobus (fan controller). These are also found at SVC.com and adjust between 0v and 12v, plus they have dual color LED's. (Blue for above 7v, Red for below 7v) The Sunbeam has some massive Heatsinks in it that allow it handle a load of 20w per channel, and there's four channels for a total capacity of 80w! (BTW, I killed a channel on a Nexus fan controller using a 6w 120mm fan :()

If at all possible, I recommed you go with 3 80mm rads w/blowers, but two will do. Just remember, the more surface area, the better your temps. Also, you can tie ALL the blowers into ONE channel on the rheobus. That way one knob controlls the speed of all the blowers in the system.

Hope this helps

Sorry, don't have much time. From what i hear, the Aero's an excellent fan, especially for your application. I personally have a blower that I know longer use. It suffers from motor noise, but that's because it's worn out (20+ years old) I must say the aireflow was VERY impresseive and very focused across the entire output, very even. I had It blowing across my vid card it it let me OC like mad!

Few more things.

1) Your case is fine. I'm using a midtower aluminum job I got cheap. I simply cut the front out and put my rad & fans up front. Obviusly you're not going to do what i did.

2) Skip water-cooling the chipset. Just get a LARGE PASSIVE heatsink. Zalman makes some nice ones. WC'ing the Chipset is overkill and rarely allows you to gain extra MHZ. Also, that introduces another block in your system that A) can leak B) reduces flow C) heats up the water (not by much) D) makes it harder to route tubing. You need the water to cool your CPU, and if you have a highend vid-card, the GPU. NOT THE CHIPSET!

3) I would AGAIN recommend as many rad's as you can get your hands on. This will let you have a higher OC at lower speeds. With 3 or even 4 rad's, you could probably run passivly when you're computer's at lower speeds/ low load. Of course your computer should be FOLDING instead of being idle. I would also run all rad's in parallel for max flow.

Diagrams:

2 rads: Pump->Y->Rads->Y->CPU->Pump

3 rads Pump-Y->Y/rad->rads->Y->Y->CPU->pump

4 rads Pump->Y->2 rads-> 2 more rads ->Y->CPU->Pump

Just did some research. See if you can fit a DUAL 80mm rad (Black ICE Micro II) in the back of your case. It's only 65.99 at dangerden.com ( http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/hwlabs.asp ) and that coupled with the single 80mm rad from swiftech will be more than what you need. The single 80mm rad is 46.99 from swifttech and the cheapest 80mm rad I could find was 38.99, so the dual 80mm rad's a good deal. I think a setup like what i just described would be what you're looking for :D

Here's pic from dangerden's website:
BIMicro2_blackbg_med.jpg

Back