• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get the heatspread off on my p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enlighter

Registered
Got the heat spreader off my p4 2.8 now I am stuck

I want to do this so I can lap it and not worry about copper particles getting on the core. I have managed to remove all the black epoxy stuff that is around the edges, but it still won't pop off, I am thinking this is the thermal paste attached to the core?? Any suggestions???

It is more like metal paste any thoughts??? I am gonna post pics sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
According to an article I read a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, substantial force is required to remove the integrated heat spreader even with the epoxy removed.

Ahahah, here it is: http://www.overclockers.com/tips1087/ (I <3 Google).

You also lose crush-protection and according to aforementioned article there is little or no gain. There is a good amount of adhesive and TIM applied by the gearheads at the Intel fab on the core.

I don't think you'd gain much, but it's your P4.

I have heard of people removing the heatspreader, only to find part of the core still attached to the heatspreader... which would of course... be a dead CPU now.

-Chris

I agree with -97, there is simply too much risk for too little gain.

Of course, it already sounds as if you've done a number on the chip :rolleyes: It's a miracle what reading something twice will do.

After rereading that article above the deed was performed on a Socket 423 Willy instead of a nice Northwood. But do what you will.

Good luck.

yeh I am kinda ****ed but whatever. I am hoping someone will sticky a note about not ever trying this haha

I understand the newer P4 cores are some how 'soldered' to the IHS. Removing the IHS will destroy the core. If you are going to lap the IHS plug the hole temperarily. Lap the thing and then remove the plug with say a dentist tool or needle. Either way the fine copper dust if it gets inside that hole is no risk to any damage as it would only at worst case contact the back part of the core. There are no electrical circuits exposed under the IHS that could be shorted.

Z

PS: next time please post this in the Intel section. the Mods will thank you :)

GST-97 said:
I have heard of people removing the heatspreader, only to find part of the core still attached to the heatspreader... which would of course... be a dead CPU now.

-Chris

heres how to remove that:

cut around and remove the black stuff..then apply heat on the IHS with a soldering iron to melt the lead which connects the die and the IHS..i successfully did that to my friend's 3.4c..

DO NOT FORCE without melting the lead-or else youll end up with a dead cpu..

Back