• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Do You Clean Your Monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fac_29

I know you have to be extra careful when cleaning your monitor because you can damage the anti-glare coating that they have on them. Out of interest i'm wondering how do you guys clean yours, what do you use?

Usually soft toilet paper - I've never used any kind of chemical cleaner.

I use an anti-static cloth for cleaning CD's on mine but it doesnt seem enough for cleaning off some of the mucky finger marks thats got all over it, it just seems to smear them all over. I'm a bit wary as to what cleaner to use on it. I know there are special ones you can buy but i've heard even some of them can cause damage over time...

A nice green lugie and my shirt. :D J/K

In all seriousness, I use a little bit of window cleaner and a lint-free cloth. Does a nice job :)

On my FD Trinitron I use about a 1:4 solution of isopropyl alcohol and water... window cleaner doesn't work too well on the anti glare coating.

I use

alcohol wipes do a tremendous job of getting all the gunk off your screen and are safe to boot and leave no lint.

They have anti glare coating!!?? :eek:

Well, I did not know that. I just take some amonia or windex, drench it and dive in with a paper towl :-/

Hmm I guess if I ever get a new monitor, I probably will want to be a wee bit more careful. Thanks for the info.

Ah yes, but do you spray it on the monitor then wipe or spray the cloth then wipe the monitor?

It just gives me the shivers when I see people spray licquids on a device with about 50,000 volts going through it.

I do the alcohol wipe thing myself, little chance of ZAPPOLA!

FoxBat said:
It just gives me the shivers when I see people spray licquids on a device with about 50,000 volts going through it.

For good reason - most monitors and many TV's have the mainboard right below the CRT, and it's not uncommon in my profession to hear of a dead monitor or TV blown by Windex or some other liquid running down and dripping onto the circuitry.

Works better to spray on a cloth first ;)

You should only use something made of up water/alcohol.

Cleaners that contain ingredients such as Ammonia are one of the worst things you can use.

Shadowalker191 said:
oddly enough a dry sheet of crumpled news paper and no liquids at all. seems to work just fine on my CRT

That one is odd...no offense. :confused: Wouldn't you be depositing ink on the screen?

I use a damp soft cloth and then a dry soft cloth to dry. I've never had a problem with that.

I've heard of the newspaper thing to clean car windows too, helps them not to fog up as bad in dampness, not sure why but it does seem to work, I've seen my grandparents use it on their car windows and they did come pretty darn clean. Guess the ink acts as some sort of solvent? Beats me, news to me that someone has tried it on a monitor though

TruckyJ said:

That one is odd...no offense. :confused: Wouldn't you be depositing ink on the screen?

I use a damp soft cloth and then a dry soft cloth to dry. I've never had a problem with that.

Actually, this has been a common piece of knowledge for years; a little window cleaner and some crumpled newspaper leave no streaks.

However, with its rough consistancy, I don't know If I use it on anything except window glass. I personally wouldn't gamble with my coated CRT.

Back