• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celine Dion and my Celeron gone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axle

Hello, all :)

I hope someone here can spare a minute to lend me a hand... I'd greatly apprechiate it!

I recently came to own an old eMachines motherboard & processor from my brother, who claimed that the whole thing had been hit by lightening (it was his neighbors). Upon a little closer look, I really have no idea what the motherboard is...except that i's an Intel 810 chipset, (c)1998, and has Lomita 308820 v1.1 written all over it.

The processor, on the other hand, is a 2001 1200/256/100/1.475 Celeron. When I unplug the fan, I can feel the HS getting warm--I think it still works.

The board, though, is my problem: Whenever I power it on (and it's not like I have a power button--when I plug in the connector it turns on all by itself), I get no post. All the fans go, but I get "beep (pause) beep beep beep (pause) beep beep beep (pause) beep", and nothing. I've tried using a PCI video card instead of the onboard, still nothing.

The only thing I can think is that the ram I have in there is 512 PC133, and I'm not sure it's backwards compadible.

I'd really apprechiate it if anyone had an ideas...
TIA,
lex

4-7-04%20004%20(Small).jpg

I think the maximum ram module is 256mb for the 810 chipset. For the restarting without hitting the powerbutton, you may be able to set the BIOS to power off after power failure. I had this happen on an Intel 815 motherboard and that cured the problem.

if the heatsink gets warm theres a chance the chip is fine...
i would grab a decent, yet cheap, motherboard and not bother with the OEM... although, i would never bother with an OEM board.

i can see messin' with it just to have something to do, or if you really have no cash, but check the classifieds or post a wanted ad for a cheap mobo and i'm sure something will turn up for next to nothing.

it's nice to have a real manual and full BIOS access.

also, lightning does some real strange stuff to mobos, you may not want that board either way.

Aye, figured as much. Oh well!!

And hey, thanks for the advice, guys :) I'll be on the lookout for a cheap celly board, now.

Back