• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial PC3200 Latency 2.5??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1310nanometers

Registered
Ok this is a two part question.

First, from what I can tell sticks of PC3200 from Crucial are 3 CAS, correct me if I'm wrong. CPU-Z tells me the RAM is 2.5 CAS. So what's up with that? Error from the program?

Second, I noticed that when I got this RAM it had only four chips on each side. In every picture I've seen of this Ram it had 8 chips on each side. Does this indicate a lower lantency RAM? Did I just luck up and get some better than most Crucial memory?

I really haven't messed with any of those settings in the BIOS so they should be default, whatever that is. CPU-Z says 1:1 ratio, 2.5 CAS, RAS# to CAS# delay 3 clocks, RAS# precharge 3 clocks, and cycle time 6 clocks.

Excuse my noobness. This is my first self-built computer. I'm just learning about all this.

Do you think the fact that I only have 4 chips on each side of the RAM stick is indicative of lower latency RAM?

Best way to find out is hold down the delete key when u reboot and check bios. If it is set at cas3 and u want it at cas2.5, then change it and set the vdimm to 2.9 or as high as it will go.

I guess what I really want to know is...

Did I get some special batch of RAM from Crucial? Since Crucial offically rates this RAM as 3 CAS and CPU-Z is showing it as 2.5 CAS. I think this because there are only 4 chips on each side of the stick. Normally you would see 8 on a side. So in order for the stick to be efficient and have half the chips it has to have better quailty chips. I might be wrong but that's what I am trying to figure out. I have not overclocked anything on this machine these are supposedly the default settings.

Nah really doesn't have anything to do with how many chips are on each side. The ram is rated @ cas 3 but is runnig cas 2.5 now. The reason to have 4 chips on each side migth be to reduce the height of the stick. By laying the chips horizontally as opposed to vertically the height or the module could be reduced. I can't think of another reason other than that. If there are just 4 chips on a side but its still vertical I have no ideas why but its not indicitave of v ery high quality stuff.

256mb sticks have 4 chips, 512mb sticks have 8 chips. And its good thats its running at 2.5, the lower the better. Leave it like that.

These are 512 sticks and I'm glad it's running at 2.5 but, how could RAM that I haven't overclocked or tweaked in anyway be running better than what the company rates it for?

Does this mean these sticks could be better for overclocking?

The chips are vectical on the PCB.

Back