• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newest white water lap job!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is out of the box. I lapped it with 2000 grit then Brasso polished to mirror finish.

turbotoy said:
That is out of the box. I lapped it with 2000 grit then Brasso polished to mirror finish.
I was told that it is bad to use stuff to polish the bottom of a waterblock as it could have a negitive interaction with the thermal compound.

Welcome.

The reason I thought polish was bad because the polish particles fill the voids where the thermal paste would sit. It probably doesn't make a substantial temperature difference, but I think it would cancel out any gains from lapping it. Make sure you clean it really well before mounting it. You want as much of that polish off of the block as possible.

Do you have a pic after the lap job?

I took allot of pictures but forgot to take a picture of the after lap job. This is a trial run I am sure it will be apart again. I would like to flush the system and tweak on the hose lengths a little.

insigma is correct

there is no reason to use brasso or any metal polish at all EVER

the idea is for the block to be as flat as possible and the polish can get into the micro groove layer where it would be even less efficeint that thermal compound

Agreed! The process was taken from the factory lap straight to 2000 grit. Then I used some car scratch remover wiped with alcohol. Then brasso polish. I was board during testing. There was polish there was the water block. I had to bring to two of them together. Mirror finish!!!

Back