• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual-layer DVD burner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DJCF

Registered
Hello All!
I am considering buying a DVD burner to replace a half-faulty DVD drive... and, as promised, DVD burners capable of burnign dual-layer have been showing up at under £50-100 prices... Yipee!!

I was wondering if anyone could reccomend a model to buy... prefferably capable of writing DVD-18 (dual-sided dual-layer) but if not, then at least capable of writing whatever DVD-mode is standard for most commercially available movies (I have a huge collection which my girlfriend regularly watches - unfortunately, I ussually take away a few to watch in my laptop which makes her mad - so being able to make a copy is basicly why I'm buying a burner). If no one has experiance with these burners then could you guide me through the plethora of options available? Thanks!

Cheers!

Daniel

i didnt even know they had dual layer double sided discs out yet?? where are you findings the discs and the burner? im in the market for one as well.

:-D

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00553/ reckons DLs would be out around April, so far they are right on target - and not for the price of an EE either! (joke)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_RW_Drives.html are taking preorders for LiteOn SHOW-832S (I think thats supposed to be SOHW), due May 3rd. I'm sure there are other DLs out now, but that seems to be a pretty good one (not sure - anyone have any news?)

As for DL media, well your guess is as good as mine. I'm gonna try and get a DL burner early and err use it to write single-layers until DL media comes out.

This product *seems* to be capable of burning DVD 9 (one-sided, dual-layer) which is the standard for most commercially available DVD movies as well as DVD 5 (single-sided, one-layer) like most home-burnt DVDs up to this point. Does anyone know when burners capable of burning DVD10 (two-sided single-layer) or DVD 18 (two-sided dual-layer) are expected?

If anyone has any more or more up-to-date news on the subject... err you know what to do! :-D

Daniel

(Link: "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About DVD Recording, But Were Afraid To Ask" http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage/20031027/dvd_burner-01.html)

supposedly the liteon drives and other manufators wil offer a firware upgrade that wil allow single layers to burn dual layers.

a dual layer dvd\rw uses a higher intensity laser to burn\read through to the other layer without flipping the disc, correct? how can a firmware upgrade fix that? guess i got some reading to do, or this is impossible.

crazythunder said:
a dual layer dvd\rw uses a higher intensity laser to burn\read through to the other layer without flipping the disc, correct? how can a firmware upgrade fix that? guess i got some reading to do, or this is impossible.

Actually, the two layers are on the one side of the DVD. They are separated by a thin clear coating. The laser of the DVD burners just have to change its intensity and go through the clear coating to get to the second layer to read or write. That's how dvd readers are able to read dual-layered DVDS.

So a firmware upgrade from the manufacture should be able to do it.

I hope this clear up for you crazythunder.

Back