• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on mobile processors...............

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratts

i have at7 max and it supports 266fsb amd xp processors. (up to 2100+ and 2400+ & 2600+ with bios update, which i have).

now a mobile xp processor is (unlocked right?) and has default fsb speeds of 266. would this theoretically work in my kt333 motherboard or not? i'm probably the only one asking this question. i would like to get a mobile 2500+ and have it at 11x166 or even 10.5x166. i dont want to seriously overclock it for the mere fact of heat and motherboard limitations.

i here a 50/50 ratio on regular bartons working on it and dont want to gamble either way. (low on funds, cant afford two processors). tomorrow my at5 and tt heatsink come in and am going to see if my xp2600+ will work or not for final decision on regular bartons. any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanx,
dp

good news people, i added my xp2600+ barton from other puter and it worked. AWESOME!!!!! i did have to manually set fsb and ratio though. im so happy........:D :D :D :D :D

cool :)

I have the same EXACT board and ordering the SAME cpu, can u please see how high fsb u can get stable?

Its only a request if u dont want to stress yourhardware then dont.

I ordered the 2600barton for ocing hopefully to 200fsb at 2.400

i have seen posts in other forumns that upper 190's was the limit. now, with volt mods or not i dont remember. i tried my pc3200 pmi low latency memory and couldnt even get it to stay into windows at 333fsb. im not into overclocking this board cause its the wifey's and already toasted a cpu (my fault). would love to help ya out.

i can tell ya that this barton is 100% stable at default speeds and this computer is running the peppiest i have seen it. when you first post it will show some funky speeds to choice from but dont worry, select default 11.5x (since bartons are locked anymore) and 166fsb first and make necs. adjustments to rest of bios and reboot and let windows load. then restart and go to town.

if you havent ordered yet, get a mobile bud. then you have complete control of multipliers and lot more headroom on heat and volts. i was but decided to stick with regular bartons cause it would drive me nuts seeing a unknown cpu device in device manager.

cheers

couldnt get it to 166? sounds like you dont have the newwer bois versions?

overclocking is why i got this cpu, if it dosnt work well i geuss im ganna have to order a new mainboard :(

im a gamer and any real gamer knows they the faster the hardware the smoother the game..

thanks

ratts said:
i have seen posts in other forumns that upper 190's was the limit. now, with volt mods or not i dont remember.

DM_Soldier said:
I have the same EXACT board and ordering the SAME cpu, can u please see how high fsb u can get stable?

My experience with the KT333 mobos (Epox in this case) was that you hit a limit at the upper 190s due to the APG/PCI. For me, graphics went upstable due to the lack of a needed divider at a fsb of 200. I don't think any of the KT333 boards had the divider so I would expect the Asus to have a similar upper limit.

You really have to make the jump in fsb to 166 by dropping the multiplier on the cpu first before you can worry bout the 190s (yes, a mobile is about your only chance to get an unlocked cpu these days). Getting to 166 changes the multipliers on the memory to 1:1. After 166, it is much easier to increase the fsb.

Good luck. :cool:

EDIT: Welcome to the forums DM!

Last edited:

i got this thing now at 12.5x190=2.38 2700 tbird so i know it will at least be stable at 190 with the m2600

so is my mombo limiting the tbird fsb or the cpu? (iv heard that in the early days few were able to get the tbird @200
i also heard that ill be stuck at 12.5

i with tornado 12 what speeds think i should get?

DM, that's a very decent overclock!

Could be either your memory or the cpu. Determining which requires some detailed info. I suggest you go to a guide I wrote awhile back (look here). There is a section of overclocking a KT333 motherboard. It suggests details of how to determine what is limiting your overclock. If you've got questions after that, feel free to ask them.

Have fun! :cool:

how can i increas the volts to the chipset? thats a vmod right?

is there a way to up the volts on the chipset without vmoding anything?

and im stuck at 2,5 timings will this hamper the maxspeed i can put the barton at?

DM_Soldier said:
how can i increas the volts to the chipset? thats a vmod right? is there a way to up the volts on the chipset without vmoding anything?

I don't remember any adjustments for chipset voltages on the KT333 boards. I believe that came along with the nForce2 boards. You'll need to employ the search capability here to check it out and make sure my memory is reliable. If the chipsets' voltage isn't adjustable then you can't tell whether it is the chipset or the memory that is the problem.

DM_Soldier said:
im stuck at 2,5 timings will this hamper the maxspeed i can put the barton at?

I assume that is a CAS of 2.5 "," being a European decmial.

No it doesn't have an effect on the max speed your cpu will reach. It will have an effect on performance in that your memory bandwidth will be a little lower than if you could do CAS=2.0, about 1% if I remember the results I had in the guide.

TRP is the biggest player in memory timings for any of the boards I've tested.

Last edited:
thanks,. im ganna keep this theard in favs so if i runinto any proublems ill look at ur guide then ask if i cant find it

Iv been think if its worth replacing mombo, iv never doneso i had this pc custembuild (this is right when 2800tbirds were shipping) i choise everypart to the T but the ram :(

so if i go about replacing mobmo itll be a holenew mess for me i should maybe just saveup the $ for when the 64bit system becomes standered

(witch i was going in the first place, then seeing the mobles i couldnt resist:D)

DM_Soldier said:
so if i go about replacing mobmo itll be a holenew mess for me i should maybe just saveup the $ for when the 64bit system becomes standered

Ya, I'm in a holding postion too. But my guess is it'll be awhile till the OS and the applications/games come along to the point I'll change out.

Good luck and enjoy! :cool:

little update, i flashed bois to 0004 uber now im stable at 200fsb

I was wondering what the highest multi i would be stuckwith?

(a7n8x 1.4)

DM_Soldier said:
little update, i flashed bois to 0004 uber now im stable at 200fsb

I was wondering what the highest multi i would be stuckwith?

Stable at 200 is awesome, don't think I can remember too many folks getting there on that board.

"Stuck with", not sure what you mean. Are you referring to a mobo limit or how high the chip will go? :cool:

iv heard that you cant go over 12.5 i just wanted to know if its true?

ill proubly wont get that high anyway becouse just aircooling :/

thanks, i think itll be diffrent but with this thunderbird i can go to 14x..

maybe diff with bartons

Back