• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question regarding temps asrock 970a-g/3.1 with FX 9370 vs fx-8320 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trollyy

Registered
I recently picked up a asrock 970a-g/3.1 for free and a fx-9370 that was pulled from a friends computer.. I was wondering if they are compatible or am i going to have problems with temps? I have a AIO CM Liquidmaster 240... The tdp of the fx-9370 being 220w and all and the motherboard not having sufficient vrm/cooling I know can be an issue.. Im currently running a fx-8320 at 4.2ghz, 1.365vcore, on a asrock 970 extreme4 motherboard with only a 4+1 phase vrm with a AIO CM Liquidmaster 240 and have spot fans cooling the socket/vrm and package/socket temps dont go above 55c. Vrm stays well under caution limits too.

I know on this asrock 970a-g/3.1 board I could theoretically overclock higher with sufficient cooling on my fx-8320.. but would running the fx-9370 be worth it? I know that this motherboard "technically" doesnt offer support for it and only has a cough cough *8+2* Doubled vrm..... what if i am just going to overclock the fx-8320 to 4.4ghz anyways? I can imagine the overclocking headroom of a 220w tdp fx9370 on that board would be very minimal if i can even run it at stock considering temps. Arent these things like space heaters? ... vs the fx8320. Thx for any input

asrock 970a-g/3.1
fx-9370 or fx 8320 oc
Crucial Ballistix sport DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
corsair 650psu (could be problematic when running fx-9370...?)
EVGA GTX 950 SC
Aerocool Striker-x bench case

Last edited:
You should be okay at stock frequencies and voltages at least. The board you reference has a 220W TDP and a 8+2 power phase rating and is probably more rugged than the extreme4 you are using.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970A-G3.1/?cat=Specifications

Yes but the VRM is technically 4+1 with a doublers. Its the same one thats on the 990 extreme4 I think. This might cause this might cause some thermal issues correct? I hear the 9370's are leaky chips too.

Last edited:
I can tell you that the FX 9xxx CPUs gave a lot people problems on some pretty good boards even at stock. We've had lots of threads dealing with throttling and instability with that CPU series. Overclocking an 8350 is a much wiser path to get to approximately the same performance level. The FX 9xxx chips were just bad news. A false step desperation move by AMD to gain back some fan base. They were binned too high and drew way too much power.

I've had a couple of 9370s they weren't that bad. Nothing like the 9590s at least comparing experiences. I've never had one but the 9370 I've had were both able to run with much lower voltage than stock. You should be OK I just would go for broke.
I wouldn't push that board too hard though. Go for 4.5GHz maybe. Asrock had a bad habit of running "fake" Phases without doubler splitting so yes in a sense it is a 4+1 board. I could only find one review and this is what they had to say which is what I expected. Asrock even did the same on their high end board.

The VRM unit has a Richtek RT8871A digital controller that is actually a 4 + 1 phase controller with built-in two drivers in itself, so the power unit is not native to 8 + 2, which is an intelligent choice for the 970 board, but overclocking will be a bit limited Especially that on 220 W processors that this panel supports by specification.

I've had a couple of 9370s they weren't that bad. Nothing like the 9590s at least comparing experiences. I've never had one but the 9370 I've had were both able to run with much lower voltage than stock. You should be OK I just would go for broke.
I wouldn't push that board too hard though. Go for 4.5GHz maybe. Asrock had a bad habit of running "fake" Phases without doubler splitting so yes in a sense it is a 4+1 board. I could only find one review and this is what they had to say which is what I expected. Asrock even did the same on their high end board.

Okay Thank you very much johan... Your personal experience with the 9370 is what i needed to hear. Im going to use the fx-9370 and see how it goes with the AOI liquid and spot cooling on the board. I didnt expect my overclocking headroom on that chip to be very much anyways. Im installing the rig in a few hours and ill be moving the fx-8320 to the bench for the time being.

Like I said you should be OK just not sky high clocks. 4.5-4.6 I think should be do-able though and the spot fans will help. They're power "scheme" isn't terrible just not the best for power hogs like the FX. I saw a similar board 970 killer or something similar toast its chokes after ~ 3 months running 5.0. IIRC the V_Droop on those boards is pretty significant as well. I have a pic of that board somewhere

c1d5864c_0915152003.jpeg

Like I said you should be OK just not sky high clocks. 4.5-4.6 I think should be do-able though and the spot fans will help. They're power "scheme" isn't terrible just not the best for power hogs like the FX. I saw a similar board 970 killer or something similar toast its chokes after ~ 3 months running 5.0. IIRC the V_Droop on those boards is pretty significant as well. I have a pic of that board somewhere

View attachment 192114

Those look toast.

Alright I got the fx-9370 installed got it running at stock

Stock settings in my motherboard the voltage was 1.525 with turbo core enabled and 1.4vcore with it disabled so i cranked down the vcore.. Stressed it for 30 mins at 1.4vcore and decided to lower down to 1.365vcore after a few quick prime95 tests (30 mins each, i know not long)

at 4.4ghz/1.365vcore and i booted up prime95 for 30 minutes... I dont have any screenshots but i will post later.

socket temp reached 62f after about 10 minutes and sat there stable with a fan on the back of the socket. Im sure when i put a fan on the VRM soon the temps will drop too.

package temps never went over 39c..

Im never going to be using this board or cpu at 100% load so I think its generally safe for now until I look more into bios settings.

Last edited:
Back