• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ZALMAN cnps 7000 Al-Cu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magick_man

Forum Magician
well i just got one of these today along with some arctic silver 5 and i am not that impressed with it.
it is quiet (i mean i cant hear it over my 2 80mm tornadoes...) but i am still getting idle temps if 40-41 °c and running seti(50% load) it goes to like 51 °c
did i do something wrong or is this about what i can expect from this hsf
i have 3 80mm intakes (1 tornado in side panel, 1 tornado in front top grill, and 1 regular 80mm in the front bottom) and 1 120 mm rear exhaust (this is not counting psu 2 x 80mm)
so if anyone uses this hsf could you please shed some light on this.
ThNx, Magick_Man

it's meant to be a quiet heatsink/fan, not great for overclocking. So 50C load on an OC'ed p4 isn't too weird.

that said, it will do pretty well if you get enough air onto it somehow. Like directing the flow of one of your tornados on it?

Also check that the fan isn't under thermal control, that it is always running at full speed ..

I don't know if anybody has tried *replacing* the fan on one of those things with perhaps an 80 CFM fan ...

Anyhow people have done some good things with Zalman 7000's, do a forum search and you will turn up Clocker2's efforts and those of some other people.

the wesson

TheWesson said:

I don't know if anybody has tried *replacing* the fan on one of those things with perhaps an 80 CFM fan ...

A few folks have replaced the stock fan, I just did so this week.
Admittedly, more difficult than a "normal" HS, the job isn't that hard to do and is worth the effeort, I think.

Majick,
Zalman is very upfront about their design goals for the 7000 series- effective, but primarily quiet.
They actually fulfill this goal and if you want higher thermal performance out of it ( and it is capable) you simply have to work a bit harder.
In my cases, the 7000(cu) has benefited from ducting to supply a LOT of cool air to the HS area and a good airflow to remove the waste heat.
Due to it's large diameter, the Zalman tends to trap heat under/around it, so, depending on your board, your readings for motherboard temp may be skewed.

The Wesson,
I did not use a 80cfm fan ( my new fan is rated at 51cfm) because the Law of Diminishing Returns is glaringly obvious in the case of the 7000. The extra air ( and attendent noise) just doesn't lower the temps enough. Going from about 30-40% of full speed all the way up to hurricane force only drops temp by 1-3c.
This is a preliminary observation...so far I have only cycled the fresh AS5 application a few times and my room temps have been all over the map ( springtime in the Rockies...one day it's 70...the next it's snowing!).
Time will clarify things...I hope.

Anyway Majick...the Zalman is a harsh mistress.
You can extract excellent performance, but she'll fight you every step of the way.

i took your advice and i figured what can a little more air hurt so i took the tornado out of my side panel and i attached it to the top of the zalman and running the tornado and the zalman at full speed i am still getting a idle temp of 40-41°c
what am i doing wrong
is it possible that the temp sensor on my board (DFI Lanparyt Pro 875b)is giving me incorrect temps or is porposefully set to read high.
i just dont know anymore. anyone with some more suggestions please post them i am getting slightly desperate

Why on earth are you so worried about the damn idle temp?? It's perfectly OK. In fact, even that load temp is perfectly and utterly OK, not high at all. (Even though the temps shown by any software, including the BIOS, are motherboard type-dependent).

Yes i agree, those temps are fine.
If you really want lower temps and arent worried about sound(which i guess you arent, having a tornado ;)) you shouldnt have got a Zalman. They are primarily for ppl who like to run a nice quiet rig not really performance...So if you really want to get your temps lower you will have to look into other ways as to how you can do it as suggested by The Wesson and Clocker2. I'm sure if you follow their advice you will be able to lower those temps by a good few degrees.

magick_man said:
i took your advice and i figured what can a little more air hurt so i took the tornado out of my side panel and i attached it to the top of the zalman and running the tornado and the zalman at full speed i am still getting a idle temp of 40-41°c
what am i doing wrong
Huh?
How did you do that?
Pics?

i see your point but today i just returned the 2 tornadoes and the zalman. i got 2 more 80mm stealths and i am going to order a SP-94 and some fan

Huh?
How did you do that?
Pics?

sry i didnt get pics but i got some twistie ties and ran them between the zalman bracket and the mobo bracket, then i set the tornado on the top of the zalman and ran the ties through it

And you left the stock Zalman fan in place?

So, in essence you had one fan sitting right on top of another.

Usually that doesn't really work too well...

clocker2 said:
And you left the stock Zalman fan in place?

So, in essence you had one fan sitting right on top of another.

Usually that doesn't really work too well...

Yeah thats a bad idea..... that will actually worsen your temps.

i am not really sure what i was thinking but i figured it wouldnt have any negative effect
if nothing else i guessed it would halp a little by making sure no warm air was sitting around it.
i guess, well what everit is gone now and i am pretty sure i am getting a sp-94,
any idea which fan would best or whatever.

Thnx, Magick_Man

magick_man said:
i am not really sure what i was thinking but i figured it wouldnt have any negative effect
if nothing else i guessed it would halp a little by making sure no warm air was sitting around it.
i guess, well what everit is gone now and i am pretty sure i am getting a sp-94,
any idea which fan would best or whatever.

Thnx, Magick_Man

Why not do what everybody else does and get a ThermalTake SmartFan II ... that way you can have it make as much noise as you're willing to tolerate, since it comes adjustable.

Or get a powerful 80mm fan and use a fan controller to get your own tradeoff between cooling and noise.

I have heard 92mm fans don't get you any extra cooling with the SP-94 or SP-97, since so much of the fan hangs off to the sides.

the wesson

clocker2 said:

The Wesson,
I did not use a 80cfm fan ( my new fan is rated at 51cfm) because the Law of Diminishing Returns is glaringly obvious in the case of the 7000. The extra air ( and attendent noise) just doesn't lower the temps enough. Going from about 30-40% of full speed all the way up to hurricane force only drops temp by 1-3c.
This is a preliminary observation...so far I have only cycled the fresh AS5 application a few times and my room temps have been all over the map ( springtime in the Rockies...one day it's 70...the next it's snowing!).
Time will clarify things...I hope.

Anyway Majick...the Zalman is a harsh mistress.
You can extract excellent performance, but she'll fight you every step of the way.

The C/W of 50 CFM = 0.0337 and the C/W of 80 CFM = 0.021. So moving to 80 CFM drops C/W by 0.0127. For an 80 watt CPU that would be 1C.

That would be the theory ... I believe the increased airflow could be amplified in effect by other particularities as well, for example being able to force air where it was not able to go well before (deep into close packed fins perhaps?)

academically,
the wesson

Back