• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats the highest possible ram you can get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fire58Mech

thinking about upgrading soonish.So i'd like to know. Also where can I get them and what brand would be best? And how much?
thankyou

if ur talking about the fastest in mhz, pmi makes some pc4500.
corsair,geil and ocz makes pc4400. and a alot of people make pc4200/4000. u can get it at newegg-zipzoomfly etc.

Buying the fastest at stock is not always the best option and by no means the cheapest. For example you can get Kingston ValueRAM that has the Hynix chips for under $100.00 per 512 stick and in some cases as low as $50.00 each after MIR. Those sticks will go to 290+ and save you a ton of cash versus the $400.00+ fast stuff with the same chips. Plus it will run tighter timings in most cases.

I'm not concerned about price. So get me what ever. I want the best stock speed possible. Also what ram do you thing will work with my system. in syg.

Fire58Mech, you do not have a sig (at least not turned on). Is this memory going to run on this system in your profile?

Unless you plan on running 250-300 MHz FSB/memory speeds, I would recommend getting something like the OCZ PC3500 EB memory. It will run tight timings at 200-240 MHz with about 2.8-3.0 volts.

You don't have a sig... the sig goes below every post. Your system is in your profile. ;)

What else are you considering upgrading? You will not need the fastest RAM with that setup, it will be a waste of money.

"Fastest" isn't always in terms of mhz... Ram running at 500mhz can be quite a bit slower than ram running at 400mhz -- the difference is the latencies that 500mhz DDR uses versus 400mhz DDR.

Ram at 400mhz DDR at 2-2-2-5 timings will likely outperform 500mhz DDR at 3-4-4-8 timings. The latency on the latter example will SORELY cost you performance. Also, you must understand that you need a system that can dish out those sorts of speeds; not many processors can belt out 275+ FSB's.

When do better latencies show their advantage? They haven't in any benchmarks I've seen... Not with a marginal imrpovement in FSB.

Or am I not looking in the right place?

Synthetic benchmarks will always favor raw mhz; game benchmarks almost always favor timings. If you have ram that can do both, try a Benchemall of FarCry using 1:1 at 3-4-4-8 timings, and then the same bench using 5:4 at 2-2-2-5 timings.

The only difference is when you're talking a LOT of mhz; I find that around 275+ the loose timings start to make less of an impact because of the sheer amount of speed you can pump through. A single cycle worth of extra latency doesn't mean as much when your FSB is 50% higher than before ;)

Albuquerque said:
Synthetic benchmarks will always favor raw mhz; game benchmarks almost always favor timings. If you have ram that can do both, try a Benchemall of FarCry using 1:1 at 3-4-4-8 timings, and then the same bench using 5:4 at 2-2-2-5 timings.

The only difference is when you're talking a LOT of mhz; I find that around 275+ the loose timings start to make less of an impact because of the sheer amount of speed you can pump through. A single cycle worth of extra latency doesn't mean as much when your FSB is 50% higher than before ;)

Well said. However, i think the best performers are 240-250 with medium latencies.

~t0m

oops sorry. profile then.

I plan to upgrade my athloxp too a athlon xp 3200+ , moobo to something better not sure yet, and power supply to antec true power 550 watt. and what ever ram. so then again what ram would be best for these upgrades?

Depends what FSB you want to run... Are you going to overclock? If so, how far? If you are going to clock to 200~ and money is not a problem, best bet is mushkin 2-2-2 -- amd boards love low latencies.

~t0m

I'm about to keel over hear so I'll make this quick

slight overclocking, but not much. summer here averrage ambient temps are about 90°. you shoud be able to figure out the rest. for that. I want a killer computer that wil doninate all. ( mostl so I can beat my brother!) I'm slowly pecie the part together but I need to find out what will mix with what.
thankyou

It sounds like you're trying to compete with your brother for a better system. How are you going to show it off? Probably in the games. :)

I think you might be better off getting decent memory, mobile XP 2500+, a nice OCing mobo, and put your efforts into a graphics card upgrade. You can OC the mobile on air, have decent memory to support the elevated FSB, and have a nice graphics card to kick your brother's arse in the games to come. ;)

It actually depends on your budget, but that's the route I'd go. If you wanted to know what the best memory is, it depends on the system that surrounds the memory. If you're out for frags, go the graphics card route.

Back