• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aronmartin

I am considering upgrading my system to a p4c800-e deluxe mobo with a 3.0 c p4. I have a lot of fans in my case. Im looking for a recommendation of a good strong psu under $100 I don't want to spend anymore than I have too. Thanx in advance.

Last edited:
I've been telling people to get the sparkle 530 watt PSU at newegg for quite some time now... It's the same as Fortron, and it is $68. You'll pay $20 more for the same thing with the name Fortron on it though. ;)

I would avoid a Tt PSU, as I would all of their other glitter and glam they sell. I'm probably biased though, because Tt stands for everything I hate - marginal/poor performance and fancy looks.

Thermaltake stuff is like tinting your own car windows, buying shiny plastic player rims, getting euro lights at walmart IMO.

Bleh. :)

TT's are Sirtech based. They're not bad PSU's, but they can't hold up to FSP's.

Line regulation is only as good as the manufacturer claims it is. If I put out a PSU claiming .00000000000000001% line regulation, would you buy it? :D

The Sparkle is, by most accounts, a heftier, tougher unit than even the Antec TP550. It's the one to get, unless you can afford the PCP&C TC 510.

Imog, is sparkle the exact same thing when compared with the fortron or is it simply the name? Like what small changes if any would there be between the two?

Well I was doing some reading about having Active PFC and it looks like a good thing to have. It doesn't appear that the antecs have it. some of the sparkles do. any other recommendations? Is PFC important?

topslop1 said:
Imog, is sparkle the exact same thing when compared with the fortron or is it simply the name? Like what small changes if any would there be between the two?

I think Fortron and Sparkle are the same build design... Just different names.

Well I broke down and ordered the goods! :) I got a p4c800-e deluxe mobo, p4 3.0 c cpu, and I went with the sparkle 530w psu. Thanx for the replys everyone :D

I'm going to be looking into getting the sparkle or fortron 530 watt as soon as I can sell my mushkin pc 3500 bh-5 512 stick. Swap that and grab me either one. Most likley get the sparkle since everyone seems to be so fond of them.

I like the Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe for the following reasons:

The next runner up ps (antec 550) will cost about 100 + shipping. For an extra 100 you will get:

1. 1% regulation on all critical rails vs the 3 % regulation.
2. 5mv ripple vs 50 mv. You will get cleaner power.
3. My ps can regulate with 80VAC. Others will drop on a dime with less than 100VAC
4. 5 year warranty vs 3 years.
5. Finally Turbo cool ps have a higher power output at @40 C. Others have lower power outputs.

Back