• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Off topic but I really need help here :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Hi mates!
Right now I'm complete wreck I had a horrible weekend and last night this happened:
I was sitting and playing DAoC when my watercooling pump started screaming ( sounded like I had put 100 stones in it ) Rig froze, and I didn't want to start it again. I pulled everything out and I saw some white plastic floating in my res. I opened it up and saw that it was broken of. Immidietly I understod that it was pump fan that have broken off. I got so mad that I tried to open the pump, but I couldn't so I screwed off 2 ventiles on the pump and saw that whole fan shattered inside
I dont think I sweared so much in my entire life. Thing is that pump sounded bad (rattling sound) from day one (its Asetek waterchiller w/c setup) and I wanted to RMA it the other day bu I couldn't find any pappers on it or where I bought it or anything ( I know it was some online store but it wont help me much ). So thats why I opened it up. I dont think that fan can shatter from just water and I sure didn't put anything in it.

So I dust of my old laptop ( Dell Inspiron 8100 ) and want to contact Asetek. First thing that happens I get this sasser thing. After some time I manage to clean everything. As soon as I was about to finish for the night ( it was geting late ) something start to click very loud and next thing I know laptop freezes with some crazy clicking sounds.

I try to reboot, get to Dell post ( press F2 for Setup ) HD clicks loud, everything freezes and HD diode is on all the time. Reboot, reboot, reboot...
Sometimes I come to CHKDISK which controls C: but freezes after some more clicking. I cry some, than I try to find parts for air-cooling for my main... Guess what... I cant find them. So now I cant install any air-cooling on my mo/bo...
After I cried some more I went to bed and slept for like 2 hours before I had to go up ( work ).
"Just for fun" I try and start laptop. SOB boots into Win without a hitch... No clicking sounds, no probs...
So now I fear that HD WILL die on me sooner rather than later and I cant do a damn thing about it. I dont know what to do with my main. In best case I have to buy new mo/bo and go over to aircooling ( I think I'm through with water )
My CPU is not a good o/c-er 2.6 @ 3.2 max o/c on water so on air I expect max 3.0 ( assuming that it survived cooking )
Laptop costed me arm and a leg and now it will die soon... My cell-phone died last weekend as well. So I'm in a bad circle

I dont have much money at all and here in Sweden I dont know where I can sell computer stuff in case I try for whole upgrade ( A64 + mobo ) which I thought of this morning. I dont know if it would be good thing to upgrade to. I have 2x256 RAM + 1x512 RAM and Radeon 9800XT.

Anything I can do with my laptop?

So what would you do guys ?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

These 2 were Folding 24/7 so every second counts... I wouldnt post such stuff here but I'm in trouble here :( And anywhere else I post I don't get any real help. So it's up to you my brothers in arms!

What kind of HD is in the laptop? I know Dell used Fujitsu drives at one point, and there's a big class action suit against Fujitsu for massive numbers of bad drives. So if that's the case, you'll have two companies to contact for support.

As for the replacement cooling for the desktop... worst case scenario: You've been active here for a while it seems. See if one of the senior members would be willing to recieve delivery of the product, then ship it to you. I can't be certain, as I've never shipped to Sweden, but I've gotten air mail/global priority packages to most of western Europe for $16 to $30, depending on weights. So if you can't get someone in Europe to sell you the parts, you could try that route.

I'm sorry if I wasnt to clear :( I live in Sweden so that is no prob. Prob is that I cant RMA pump, I couldnt find receipt so i dont know where I bought this w/c setup so I couldnt RMA it. I went nuts and opened it myself to see if I could do something with it. Sadly fan was all shattered and I couldnt get to it. So now that I have messed with the pump I cant RMA it even if I found receipt.

Problem is that I cant install Air-cooling either, because I threw away all the pins and stuff that hold the cooler.

So in best scenario I have to buy new mo/bo and a cooler. My chip is not a good o/c-er so on air I would see 3.0 Max from it ( more like 2.8-2.9 because it would hit 3.2 on water )
so I thought about upgrading whole thing, new mo/bo (no ideo which one I can get or should get ) and A64 3200 ( I can afford ) I already have RAM I mentioned before What do you guys think about it? Is it worth it ?
Only thing that I care for is that I would like to sell my CPU but I cant do that here in Sweden ( I dont know where to sell computer stuff )
in order to get some money back.

About laptop I believe my guarantee is out ( I had only one year ) so I'm on loss on that one to :( I remember it cost me an arm and a leg back in the days.

So any constructive ideas would be warmly welcome!

My friend has had a Dell laptop for a good 2-3 years now. His hard drive went on him this last summer, and they replaced it. I'd call anyway, you have nothing to lose.

there's no harm in calling Dell, the worse they could say is no. If it's not like 2 years or so, if you're only lapsed a couple months maybe... just maybe.

Sounds like your pump fan was bad in the begining.
you could flush your watercool system to get rid of all the particles in it and replace the pump. I can buy used water pump for fish tank or some junk yard store. I'm sure you can find the same in your area.
I use ehiem pumps 24/7 for the last 2 years without a single failure.
Good luck.

Yep, that clunking sound is the beginning to the end of those hard drives. If the Dell is out of warranty, a generic replacement 20 Gb hdd (Seagate) runs between $80 - $100 (less shipping) here in the US. If you can handle water cooling, then I'm sure you wouldn't have any trouble replacing the hard disk yourself.

Swiftech has a series of P4 heatsinks that mount through the holes left by the stock mount bracket. Ask around (in classified) for somene who has leftover hardware. With all the guys that have modded to water, someone in these forums has to have one. I have one somewhere in my storage just don't know where at the moment. Never throw that stuff away.

Well i contacted Dell and they told me to buy a new HD, so I was looking around for HDs, and wonder if anyone should know what brand is best? I can buy Tsohiba, Fujitsu and Hitachi I beleive... Not much difference in price and that is good. Also what diff would I notice from 4200 to 5400 rpm ?

About my main rig, poor ******* will have to wait I think I can have my friends from his BD7 so no upgrade for me :)

But I'll have some 300 MHz less from this "little" misshap :(

And @ JetMech:
Yeah first now I realise what fool I have been... This chip costed me so much... It's very poor o/c-er, and I bought thing, efter thing to help and increase o/c. I built my own w/c system. Then I bought Asetek one ( I thought: "now I'm stocked" ). 100s of fans and stuff. But ******* wouldnt perform better for the life of it. I could have bought 3.0 and not o/c it att all.
Back to reality.

Thank you for your help guys!

Don't use this advice without someone more experienced backing it up but...

If you are cooling on water, shouldn't the water in the block be enough to keep temps reasonable if you undo your overclocking and overvolting?

If the temps are stable at idle, try folding @ 25% CPU and see what the temps are like, etc.

If the temps are uncomfortably high but not outrageous you could try underclocking or just sellotape a case fan to the block.

yanyorga said:
Don't use this advice without someone more experienced backing it up but...

If you are cooling on water, shouldn't the water in the block be enough to keep temps reasonable if you undo your overclocking and overvolting?

If the temps are stable at idle, try folding @ 25% CPU and see what the temps are like, etc.

If the temps are uncomfortably high but not outrageous you could try underclocking or just sellotape a case fan to the block.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!!

Sorry, but I do not recomend you do this. Even with an underclocked processor, you need running water to keep it cool. What would happen if you tried this, even if you had a fan over the block, the water would heat up fairly fast and it would be just as bad or worse than running a heatsink without a fan. Even if you had ALOT of airflow over the block. Nice idea! But I don't recomend it.

Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

I'm fairly disappointed with choice of hard drives for laptops these days. I work on IBM and Dell mainly, some Compaq and hard drives are the most commonly replaced component imo.

Since IBM sold its manufacturing to Hitachi, most of the laptop drives these days are Hitachi manufactured so it's no surprise that I see more defective Hitachies.

Fujitsu has utterly destroyed their reputation with the excessively high failure rates of their drives, I can't recommend them.

I have no experience with Toshiba hardware and very little with Seagate. I noticed the last Seagate drive that I installed in an out of warranty laptop was very quiet.

Good luck

Melhisedek, send me a PM. If you send me your address, I'll take a look at shipping costs. I've got a spare set of mounting brackets from the original intel fan and heatsink that came with my processor.

I must be missing something, cuz I don't see why this is a big deal. Just replace the water pump and you will be set. You might have to get a bit creative to get the new waterpump to fit the hoses of your existing system, but a trip to the hardware store (or mcmaster.com) will solve this problem. Your mobo, cpu, waterblock etc should all be fine.

It sucks that your laptop died/is dying at the same time, but if you attack these problems one at a time they are no big deal. Good luck!

SBs

Back