• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4p800e dlx - No Post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BBigJ

I've got a friend that is putting together a new machine with a p4p800e deluxe and a 3.2 p4. Currently we are getting nothing from the machine, no post, no beep codes, nothing. The led at the bottom of the mobo lights up as soon as the psu is flipped on (before power on, is this normal?) and the fans spin up properly. But there is no sign of life elsewhere. He even has the corsair ram with the activity led's and they don't light up.

We have tried using different ram and no ram (still no beep codes). The vid card does work properly in a different machine. We have cleared the bios. Currently only the cpu, ram and vid card are hooked up. I haven't reseated the cpu yet (don't even know if he has a prescott or northwood.)

Any ideas out there? Is the mobo toast? The cpu (I guess if it was the cpu the mobo would still be able to complain)?

Thanks.

BBigJ said:
I've got a friend that is putting together a new machine with a p4p800e deluxe and a 3.2 p4. Currently we are getting nothing from the machine, no post, no beep codes, nothing. The led at the bottom of the mobo lights up as soon as the psu is flipped on (before power on, is this normal?) and the fans spin up properly. But there is no sign of life elsewhere. He even has the corsair ram with the activity led's and they don't light up.

We have tried using different ram and no ram (still no beep codes). The vid card does work properly in a different machine. We have cleared the bios. Currently only the cpu, ram and vid card are hooked up. I haven't reseated the cpu yet (don't even know if he has a prescott or northwood.)

Any ideas out there? Is the mobo toast? The cpu (I guess if it was the cpu the mobo would still be able to complain)?

Thanks.

Is all the power plugs hooked up?

What's the PSU rated at?

It might be something wrong with your case connection to the mobo.

Dual channel is first and third slot.

High end video cards need the four pin power.

Make sure everything is tight. I thought my soundcard was dead!

Better off using to latest BIOS if your not sure if it's a Prescott or Northwood.

Is all the power plugs hooked up?
primary atx and secondary 4pin are both hooked up
What's the PSU rated at?
over 500w. I believe it is an antec.
It might be something wrong with your case connection to the mobo.
You mean a short between the board and the case? Or an incorrect use of the standoffs? I thought of that, but I haven't checked it yet (and the builder insists that is fine.)
Dual channel is first and third slot.
That's what we had. Also tried first slot only.
High end video cards need the four pin power.
It is a R9600xt (I think). It doesn't have a molex connector.
Make sure everything is tight. I thought my soundcard was dead!
We've got everything unplugged except the cpu, ram and vid card.
Better off using to latest BIOS if your not sure if it's a Prescott or Northwood.
Can't change bios if I can't even post...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the ones I haven't tried yet. Any others.

if the bios of the board is old, then it will not post... check the latest bios of p4p800 dlx, 1016, it has cpu support fixes, i suggest u install a slower cpu like 2.4 or 2.8, update the bios, then put in the 3.2... surely it will work :) ur other option is u will need to try to re-seat the cpu :D

I read the book on my mobo so I know which cable from the case goes where.

I powered up to find that my on led is in the other way. I think your case to mobo connection is at the lower right corner area.

You don't need the sound cable to the mobo to boot. My Antec Super LanBoy didn't have a sound connection:D

ya sounds like it could be the power on connections arent connected properly. Also check and see what revision mobo you have.You can find this info above the top pci slot. Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the p4p800e dlx support prescott and extreme edition hence the "e" ? When i was hooking my rig for the first time I didnt connect the power button wires correctly and it wouldnt post and I got a lil scared but i just messed with the power on connections and presto it booted right up.

PG, can you elaborate. What do you mean by the "power on connections". The power switch on the case appears to work fine. Press it once and the fans start spinning, HD fires up, etc. Hold it down and the machine shuts down. Is this what you mean?

well if you push power and it acts like its going to boot then those connections are fine. What bios do you have loaded up right now? Also have you tried removing the battery and leaving it out for a little while then putting it back in to reset the bios? Also you can try alt+insert when trying to boot up, that will default the bios settings. Have you tried a diff video card, diff ram or even no ram? You should post but get errors with no ram installed. It could be a cpu issue but not sure.

if it is a rev2 mobo chances are the mobo is good, if its a rev1 its a possible doa mobo.

No clue on the bios.

Yeah, we've tried taking out the battery, and clearing the bios settings with the jumper.

Tried diff ram and no ram with the same results. Haven't tried a different video card, but this video card did work in another machine..

The revision is 1.02.

there have been issues with rev1. Possible that you will have to rma and get a rev2. :( Definetely try a diff cpu before rma'ing tho just incase.Also, try a diff vid card just so that you can say youve tried everything. :)

Remove the battery and set the cmos jumper to clear, and left it just like that for more than 24 hours and try again. A friend of mine had this kind of situation but clear the cmos for over 24hours really solved the problem.

did he lift the lever when installing the cpu? thats what it sounds like to me that its got no cpu.
also when you power up keep hitting the insert key on the keyboard

Back