• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ho to reduce sound in a fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

Hi I've a volcano 11+ cou cooles 80mm fan which i want to use as a exhause fan in the rear of my casing. But I want it to be less noice also cause this one is having hell of a sound even in a reduce rpm mode. So anyone having how to reduce the sound in this one? is there any modification we can try and see in the fins so we can reduce the snd?

From what I understand, the fan is loud as is (I've never had one of those before)? Removing grills on the case where the fan is could possibly prevent it from getting any louder - I believe your best bet might be a fan controller. You could get a junk $2 80mm fan for experimentation and play around with the fins to see if you get any results :p

I think he said that the fan's still loud at low RPM, so I think your best bet would be to buy a new fan. Some good ones are the Smartfan II, Panaflo, Papst, and Enermax.

there are also fan mounts made of rubber that are available to help reduce noises coming from fan vibrations.

is there any modification we can try and see in the fins so we can reduce the snd?
I wouldnt clip or cut your fan blades, it would definetly throw off the balance of your fan and make things MUCH worse. If a fan controller doesnt work, just purchase a quite fan like Radical mentioned. I recommend the panaflow - good air movement and it's nice and quite.

The easiest solution would be to go out and buy a quieter fan.
The funner solution would be to quiet that sucker down yourself.
I was able to quiet down some of my case fans by removing the decal, popping off the rubber seal that covers the bearing, and adding a drop or two of bearing oil.
I used teflon based oil which seems to work well so far.
That in combination with a fan controller seems to tame all my fans.
And cut out the grills if you can.
Even if doesn't quiet things down it will at least improve airflow.

Back