• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am I doing wrong? Raptor HD...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackZ06

Registered
Ok I'm trying to install windows on my new system with a 74gig raptor. I insert the windows CD, push F6 to install the SATA drivers and use Intel's drivers, setup starts fine then does the "file was not copied" thing several times. sometimes I'm able to retry sucessfully other times not. I get past there and begin to install windows and it says system files missing probably from not being copied before then itll go a bit farther and do the "windows setup has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer" I've tried the install several times with both the intel sata and the silicon sata as well as two different cd drives and 2 different windows cds. Sometimes itll get farther than other times but never all the way. I tried both the long format and the quick format. I took an old 10gig hard drive and it installed just fine. This is the second raptor I've tried as the first one I got was broken from the getgo...

System specs are

Abit IC7-Max3
P4 3.0C
1GB Mushkin Special 222 ram
Radeon 9800Pro- using old vid card as someone told me this might help because not as power hungry?
PC P&C Turbo-Cool 425

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think this raptor could be bad too?

If you still have the installed 10GB drive ready, boot to that drive and run the windows version of the Data Lifeguard from this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127203

It will be able to determine if the drive has problems. If there are no problems, then perhaps the driver FDD is corrupted and problems on the driver install are causing the errors on install.

or make a bootable cd with the data lifeguard proggie for dos
i think western digital website can help with that

Well I think I might have fixed the probelm whatever it was. I dled that Data Lifeguard like you guys said ran all the tests which came up as passing. I then copied windows from the 10gig hard drive to the raptor and it stated up just fine no crashes or anything. Is there any additional things I should do to make sure the drive is fine or do you guys think I'm in the clear? (hoping so :) )

Thanks for pointing out that nice little utility!

I've read that HD manufacturers make utilities that you can use to easily "ghost" your data. Excuse this post if that is what you were referring to by "imaging program"

And no, Windows XP does not like to be "copied" to another drive. There is lots of volume info, etc. that doesn't get copied by just copy -> pasting to another drive (excuse the non-technical explanation).

There is a new driver for the Raptor also

There is a new driver for the raptor drive on the same link.
One odd thing I am having, I think has to do with my new power supply is clicking. Yes clicking nothing comes up and you here clicking in my raptor drives. Hit the reset then it come up, it is as if the power is not getting to the drive.

With that Data Lifeguard utility I used there's an option for it to copy all files from one hard drive to another. It does the formatting and partitioning all for you and then just copies everything. I unplugged the 10 gig and turned it on with just the raptor and windows booted up fine. All the same desktop items were in the same place as on the 10gb. I don't know all the technical stuff about it but it seems to be working

Back