• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Foam!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

Alrighty - one more question! I've ran my system for about 24 hours and gotten how much water it can hold. . . I added 15% of antifreeze from advanced auto parts (turned the water into a little green color) - - - and ewww, soon as I poured it in the system and got the pump running I see nothing but foam!!

What's going on? should I use more distilled water orrr somethin' else?

*edit* or maybe it's not foam.. it's some very thick white liquid tho. . . . when I look inside my T it's not foam.. but a liquidy substance..

and the thing is - my system is already full.. and I haven't even used half of the water that I was supposed to use. . .

Hey thanks man - I wasn't using the anti-freeze for the green color.. just as an additive..

maze 4 gpu with jr-120 barbs don't mix right - - -right? ;) my white water tops are poly.. and pump in / out lets are plastic..

you should have an addictive in the setup, you shouldnt just run it with distilled water. Try 90% distilled with 10% antifreeze

Advance Auto Parts.. I'm using 10 percent now.. and the foam type stuff is still there - although it's not nearly as bad as when I was using 20%

I tried to put as much of water and antifreeze in as I could before I turned on the pump.. all was well.. then I got about 2/3 of the way down and the water level wouldn't go down so I had to turn on the pump.. and that's when the foam occurred.

arrr - 3 am.. well, guess I'll try to get me a 5 hour nap and go to wal-mart in the morning :(

IMHO, the foam (or milkyness) is normal when using additives like WW, Purple Ice, car antifreeze, or other (not included UV dyes).
It's due to the used substances (water wetters) that decrease the surface tension of the water.
Those water wetter substances do have some same properties as soap, BTW.

Every time, and with any above mentionned additive, I had foam forming after refilling my loop.
Without any efficient air trapping system this foam can last for a long time in the loop.

With my airtrap this foam dissapears completely after about an hour...

CD :)

Don't use additives, pure water has the best thermal capacitance. Unless you live in Antarctica and are afraid your lines will freeze.

^
l l
l l
l l
l l

Indeed.. went to Target and bought an 8 buck jug of Prestone long lasting anti freeze - - - the foam is still there, but not as bad as the Advanced Auto Parts Antifreeze..

after I let it run for a while it'll stop.. so I guess it's no biggie as long as it doesn't kill my system performance :eek:

-*edit*- what was the air trap design you used to get some of the foam out?

Last edited:
Here's a long shot... Did you flush out your radiator before installing it? I've found that if I don't flush out a new rad before using it, I'll see the same foamy/slimey gunk in my water sometimes. Who knows what has crawled into a heatercore sitting on the shelf at an auto-parts store.

first of all...you do need an additive...because it kills the germs and bugs that want to grow in an all water loop. You may think nothing will grow...but there's always a microscopic something that manages to get in there.

As for the additive creating foam...i never had that problem....i simply filled the system with as much water as i felt necessary...and then after the system was running for a while to get all the air bubbles out...i poured in the water wetter.....and it created no foam at all. I think you are mixing the air in the tubes with the additive creating bubbles and foam. Try running the system for a while before you add it.

tyshy said:
first of all...you do need an additive...because it kills the germs and bugs that want to grow in an all water loop.

So put poison to remove harmful germs.......which has no benefit to cooling.......because you are too lazy to clean your system.

Please don't leave your res outside your system with a fill tube looking like a nice green slurpy to youngsters.

I've never done watercooling - but have some experience with industrial chemical process pumps, so I know a bit about fluid transport.

Is entrained air ever a problem in watercooling setups? Are the fittings on the suction of your pump tight? The vacuum a spinning pump impellar creates can pull air into the system and the impeller will turn the mixture into a foam. Not sure if this can happen on a small pumps.

Air could be held in the system if you have high points without air vents in your turbing.

Back