• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded GPU - Now higher mainboard temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sammy5gs

Ok - so I recently upgraded my video card from a 9700 Pro to a x800 Pro. Now, before I upgraded, I did not suffer from heat issues. My rig would run at 38c idle, and low 50s load. After I put in the new GPU, my temps have gone up a little bid to 38c idle (no change), but upper 50s load.

While I was playing NBA Live 2004, after about 1 1/2 hours of gameplay, the game froze on me. Typically, I would associate this with either the GPU or heat related. When I rebooted, i went into the Bios, and mainboard temps were around 58/59, which is higher than I would like. I also went into Sandra 2004 and received the warning message that my Power/Aux and Mainboard temps were too high?

Now, are these elevations in heat due to my upgrade to a better GPU? Here is what else I am running:

CPU : Athlon Barton 2500+ (running at 3200+ speeds)
CPU HSF : Thermaltake Volcano 10+ w/ASF
Mobo : Shuttle AN35N Ultra (just HS on Chipset, no fan)
Case : Antec Server Case with 5 Case fans (all with proper air flow)
PSU : Antec True Power 480W (with fan)
Mem : 1GB Crucial DDR400
HDD : 2 EIDE (WD 120GB/Maxtor 80GB)
DVD : Memorex 16x
CD-RW : Lite-On 52x24x52

Now, again, I did not suffer from lock ups before the GPU upgrade (while the CPU was overclocked the same way), and I did not see anything in all of the other forums related to any conflicts with the 4.5 drivers with x800, so I wanted to run this by yall. I don't know if I should get a better CPU HSF, although that did not see to have too high temps after gameplay. I don't know if I should get a fan for my chipset, as it appears that is where the problems were per Sandra 2004? I am still trying to understand how my mainboard temps would increase under load due to a GPU upgrade?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe the gpu is heating up your case? That heatsink realy isnt the best, maybe you could invest in a vga silencer and a $20 Slk-947.

Yuriman said:
Maybe the gpu is heating up your case? That heatsink realy isnt the best, maybe you could invest in a vga silencer and a $20 Slk-947.

thanks yuriman...would the slk-947 really make a difference? I have not put on a custom GPU cooler, and am worried about the labor involved, and whether or not it is worth it.

putting on a gpu cooler..isn't hard or time consuming...the hardest part is taking the old h/f off, u could try putting it in a bag and put it in a freezer..should harden the thermal glue or paste and the h/f can come rite off

The ATI cards don't use glue. Most cards don't these days.

The hardest part is making a custom HS, and then trying to find screws that will fit through the holes and then drilling the holes in the Hs in the perfect places.

If you buy a vga silencer, just push the pins back through on your card and hte heatsink will pop off. Then, set the vga silencer on it and connect the backplate thingy. Im pretty sure an slk would make a big dif for you, I had a 40cfm fan on mine, which is low for overclockers, and with a room temp of 33c right now, and my cpu at 2.5ghz, I get 48c load.

Too right an SLK should make a big difference. The Volcano10 isnt meant to be very good.

Your games freezing at just under 60°C full load? Now that shouldnt be happening, unless those are socket temps you are reading.

fac_29 said:
Too right an SLK should make a big difference. The Volcano10 isnt meant to be very good.

Your games freezing at just under 60°C full load? Now that shouldnt be happening, unless those are socket temps you are reading.

#1 - So you guys are suggestion an SLK on both the CPU and GPU?

#2 - Well, the 60C temp I got was after I rebooted from BIOS and confirmed once I got into XP with Sandra 2004 (30 seconds after freezing). I don't know if that would give it enough time to come down from a higher temp.

Back