• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB mp3 player prob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neo Demi

got a corecess 128 meg mp3 player about a year ago, same as this one
http://www.hkgolden.com/2nd_hand/2nd_hand_details.asp?id_key=171502
problem is, its now screwed and i dunno whas wrong with it. neither of the two computers at home see it, one runs xp pro, the other runs win me. got a usb view prog and it says the device is malfunctioning, a "device failed enumeration error" wtf does it mean. can anyone find the site for the mp3 player, am i gonna have to buy a new one?

this is in the storage section as the problem is windows not letting me access the device to chage the stored contents, it still plays perfectly when the drive part is in the battery part. its not an audio problem

Enumeration is the initial detection and configuration stage of connecting the device. What happens is that a low current mode(less than 100mA) is initially sent to the device for detection. This initializes the device and the firmware on the device tells the OS what requirements, capabilities and specifications the device has. The OS can then supply the resources and set up the settings that the device needs to operate.

Since your device is failing in enumeration on both systems and functions normally when not connecting, the USB interface on the device has gone bad. Unfortunately, there's no good way to fix an issue like this. As long as it still functions while disconnected, it will still be usable, but without any method of changing content. Buying a new MP3 player would be cheaper than finding a new storage module, though you may be able to find one used.

nuts, suppose its time for an upgrade anyways.
still, the mp3 player lasted a year, and was dirt cheap on ebay so i cant complain :)

thanks

#David

Back