• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd Probelm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hexnan

I'm not real sure whats going on here but heres the deal.

I recently removed my HSF to lap it in doing so i also removed my 1700xp to clean the thermal compound from it.

After lapping, washing, and throughly drying the HS i reseated everything and tried to boot up. I kept getting memory dumps in which windows would not boot but i was POSTing fine.

After a few tries i set my processor speed down to 1100mhz and backed off the SDRAM speed to 100Mhz and it booted up fine.

Thats where im at now. any ideas what i can do to get back up to normal speeds???

Hex

temps arent great....53c after about 20 mins of web surfing

not alot of pressure on the core either, the HSF didnt take alot of pressure to reseat it. with the clip attached i can slightly move it around so its not on to tight i dont think

Hex

When you replaced the heatsink did you apply a new thin layer of thermal paste? Might sound like a dumb question but I have done it. :)

Z

temp is too hot. could be the die is chip if the heatsink is not on properly. I have similar problem on one of my cpu after installing the heatsink not careful enough. Since then I had to underclock the cpu to keep it running.

Yea i applied new thermal paste, i think overdoze is right. I noticed a small chip on the die after i removed the HS the first time.

Wierd thing is i recall seeing that chip when i got the processor and it still reached 1466Mhz no problems

Maybe ill try to reseat that HS again to see if i can get it working

Hex

Back