• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is too hot for ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StoneRyno

I am getting good results on my crucial pc2100 ram listed in my sig. Here's the deal. I would like to get it to 200 (400) but when I go to 195 at 2.55v (default) I start to get errors. each incremet of 0.1v lessens the errors drastically at 0.3v higher there is only like 4 or less errors in memtest86+ at test 5 and 6 or less errors at test 8 which is a more intensive version of 5. Thats compared to the 1000s at default voltage. all other basic tests pass.

Temps at default using a thermal sensor from thermaltake hardcano shows ram temp to be at 36-37c with the 0.3v increase. At default voltages its at 32-33c. No heat spreaders or other direct cooling on the RAM currently.

If I increase the voltage higher I know I can expect higher RAM temps. But I'm also thinking this will let me take my RAM to 200 FSB. I read a couple posts where someone used an 80mm fan to blow air on the RAM so I was thinking i got a couple spare ones around perhaps I could do this but would like opinions on that and going over 0.3v increase and the RAM temps.

Thanks

Correction to my sig..... Cpu is at 190x8 (1520 mhz) currently.

The one in my sig was the previous stable cpu test.

so what do you think of the temps are they normal? and any suggestions on how to put the fan over the RAM? I've been comtemplating this but can't come up with a good idea yet.

A small abount maybe 1/2" of the AGP card goes under the ram in the 1st slot but not under the ran in the 2nd.

update

Tested at 2.95v and temps are 40c and i get no errors in tests 5 and 8 in memtest86+.

Here is a link from micron about the chips. Am I understanding this right. Is this the temps for the chips on the ram. If so then when using a thermal sensor on the outside of the chips and finding the temps I have found am I safe?

http://download.micron.com/pdf/technotes/TN_00_08.pdf

Update

I set a plastic 80mm fan about 2 inches away from the ram resting partly on the AGP card and on the the other side it is resting on top of one of the hds. So far this is working most excelently on cooling the ram. They feel almost as cool as they are when the pc is off.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Back