• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Fan RPM Wacky

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

croth

Registered
Running a 2.4 C P4 with a stock Intel (P4 3.06, copper base inset) HSF. Mobo is an IS7. Installed in an Antec case with 2 80mm inlet fans in the front, 2 80 mm exhaust fans in rear, and 1 80 mm intake fan on side right at AGP slot. The Antec power supply has two fans also. With everything running , the CPU fan averages about 3300rpm. Full load temps run at 50 C on the CPU and about 34C System. Fan control is disabled in the BIOS. If I take the side panel off, the CPU fan speeds up to 4600 rpm. And , of course, CPU temps drop. If I put the side panel back on and plug in the side fan, the rpm's drop back to about 3300 rpm. What's up with this ?? If I remove the side fan and put the side panel on, the rpm's still run 3300. If I block the hole ( where the fan would go) the rpm's again rise to 4700. Can anybody tell me what they think is happening here ??

Thanks

It is probably causing a reverse vaccuum. before i had watercooling, I had 3 intake and 1 exhaust, and my heatsink fan did the same thing. You might want to check the CFM on the fans you are using, cause if the intakes are a ton higher than the exhaust, that might be your issue. You could just rotate some of you intake to exhaust and you problem might be fixed.

What are you saying ? Should the fan normally be running at 3300 or 4600 rpm ??

Anyone know what the rpm, on the fan , on a Intel stock HSF for a 3.06 P4 (copper base) should run normally ?

4500 RPM, probably.

I googled "Intel stock fan pentium RPM" and this was the third hit:

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=719

The situation you describe implies that the side panel hole impedes the fan somehow (rather dramatically.) I can only suppose that it sets up an air current opposite to what the HSF is trying to create (?!?)

I don't see any indication that the fan uses sensors, and you claim that the mobo fan speed control is disabled, so that rules out the most likely notion: that air coming in through the side hole cools off a sensor which controls the fan speed by temperature.

the wesson

Last edited:
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-007999.htm

"
In addition to the Thermal Monitor feature, the boxed Intel Pentium 4 processor fan heatsink uses a high quality variable speed fan which allows the processor to remain within its operating thermal specifications by running at different speeds over a short range of internal chassis temperatures. The processor fan operates at a low speed while internal chassis temperatures are low. If internal chassis temperatures increase beyond a lower set point, the fan speed will rise linearly with the internal chassis temperature until the higher set point is reached.
"

My best guess is that the your side panel opening is putting cool air on whatever the fan uses for a thermal sensor.

With some fans, you can short circuit the thermal sensor - if it is visible. I have an antec case fan I did that for - I wrapped some copper wire around the two arms of a little thingey sticking out near the hub. Now it runs at full speed all the time.

the wesson

Thanks guys. It appears that the fan itself has a thermistor to control speed relative to temp. 32C and below it runs low speed. Above 40 C it runs high speed. In between these temps it responds linearly. Makes sense. I don't think I want to mod it to run high speed all the time. High speed is ~6000 rpm and that gets quite loud.

You're welcome.

I was a little surprised to learn the stock Pentium HS was thermally controlled, myself. Maybe they had to - a 70mm fan at 5500 RPM will make something of a racket.

the wesson

Back