• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shuzzy

Ok... I just did my first oc on this chip and im seeking a little guidance. The chip is a p4 3.0c. I just raised it to 3.4 ghz with my ram set at 320 mhz in my bios. The vcore is set to 1.625. Right now it is completely stable and my temps did not even change from stock.

I want to push this further, but i figured before i go ahead and do this i better learn a little more.

What im asking from you experts is a little advice as far as ram voltages and timings, vcore voltages, etc...

My motherboard is an Asus p4p800. Any advice at all would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ram voltage really only needs to be increased when you start getting over the rated RAM speed, now, if your ram is pc3200, and you're running it at 320, you either have an amazing speed going there (640 mhz ddr, which i doubt is the case), or you are 80mhz under the rated speed, which means you have a lot of headroom for fsb overclocking and wont need to touch ram voltage at all yet. RAM timings dont do much, sometimes they make things stabler at higher speeds, but not often. Vcore is simple, the higher it is, the more likely your OC is to be stable, but at the same time it gets hotter the higher you go, so raise your fsb until your oc is unstable, then crank up the vcore a bit and test for stability, and repeat until your temps start getting high.

thanks. the reason i put my ram at 320 is because when i had it at a 1:1 ration with the fsb i could'nt even raise the fsb to 205 without crashing. It must be the fact that is pretty cheap ram.

Another question... While i am raising the fsb, the speed of the ram is raising as well in a 5:4 ratio, correct?

thanks.

The 320 setting is the 5:4 ratio. That is correct that while raising the FSB the memory is at a 5:4 ratio. Crank up the FSB untill its not stable then hint the Vcore up. on a P4C dont go above 1.65 volts as it can damamge the CPU. Some say 1.7 volts is OK. I however wouldnt use 1.7v for fear of SNDS. You could get as much as 3.6gHz or MORE on that.

Good Luck

Z

3.3 would be fine for any application today !! PLus you dont sound like your much of an enthusiats yet considering its your first OC. If yoiu really want to rip this thing to shreds talk to some of the guys in the water cooling and extreme cooling sections. There fellas in there with 3.0s @ 3.9 !!!

If you have the money get a WC rig, cause that jet thing aint very good IMO. Getting into the 3Ghz realm, IMO you should be decked out under with one of thermalright's copper monstrosities.
BUt then again nevermind spending all that money for a one-time overclocking escapade.

Dont get me wrong man, I AM in NO way trying to discourage you my frined. just dont kill you (expensive *** !) cpu.

Sen.C

Back