• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much will this drop my temps->

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adaman

Thinking about getting an SLK-947U, with a 80mm Panaflo fan, not sure which one yet (any reccomendations? I want a real quiet one). Just give me a guesstimate of how much my temps will drop if i get those, thanks.

Just the default heatsink. I have no intake fan either, suppose i should get one of those as well =x, but any kind of guesstimate would be good.

it depends on the rest of your case cooling...like what fans you have inside (including psu) and also what cpu you are running but from what u have mentioned, id say around a 7-10c drop with a good lap job and good thermal compound like AS5

Yeah, you cant really give a precise estimate because there are so many other factors to consider.
With my set up now going from the crappy "Colorful Industries" hybrid copper/aluminium heatsink with 80mm 45cfm fan and cheap thermal gunk that was on it, no case fans and a cheapo case to what i have in my Sig gave me over a 20°C drop CPU and 15°C drop Case. I was running really high temps with my previous setup...

fac_29 said:
Yeah, you cant really give a precise estimate because there are so many other factors to consider.
With my set up now going from the crappy "Colorful Industries" hybrid copper/aluminium heatsink with 80mm 45cfm fan and cheap thermal gunk that was on it, no case fans and a cheapo case to what i have in my Sig gave me over a 20°C drop CPU and 15°C drop Case. I was running really high temps with my previous setup...

I'm not asking for a precise estimate, just a guesstimate ;)

Thanks for the replies.

I get about 47-49C on average, 54c+ under max load. Something around that. It's hot out here in Tucson. Basicly i just want to get my temps low enough where i can Overclock my CPU and Vid card. I looked at water cooling but it's expensive and would involve way too much hassle.

Last edited:
So i guess i'll expect about 9 C off my temps. If anyone has a good suggestion for a fan that'll work with that HS, post here or PM me.

I'm using a desktop XP 2500+ @ 3200+, my CPU idles around 35C and wont go pass 40C under full load. Im using the SLK-947U with a Thermaltake Volcano 12 fan. I had originally the Volcano 12 as my cooler, but once i ordered the SLK, i just removed the fan that came with the volcano, and plopped it on the SLK. But seeing as how that will cost you more money than needed, i'd suggest you grab the Vantec Tornado. It's the best out there right now, the 80mm and the 92mm. Keep in mind though they do get loud, and the noise can be easly fixed with a noise dampening fan kit and/or a fan seed control regulator. I also just ordered a 2400+ Mobile and some AS5 to go along with it which shoud be here next week. I cant wait to see the temps on that puppy once it' OC'd. Also, before i used the SLK-947U my cpu idle'd at 45C, and maxxed out at 52C under heavy load.

Check out this Delta 92mm fan..:)
"Another Sidewinder exclusive, the FFB0912HHE is the quietest 92mm triple bladed fan available. Compared to the FFB0912EHE and Vantec Tornado, this fan uses a third of the power and is over 10 dB quieter, and it does so without a fan controller. We offer this unit in a default 3-pin configuration."

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de92ff1.html

Back