• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Blood!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheWesson

This is the first time a computer fan has drawn blood from me.

It was a Panaflo 120mm (x38mm) L1A at 12v,

I never handled fans cautiously before - if my finger slipped in there, the fan would hit it and stop.

The Panaflo stopped, alright, sinking its teeth into my finger, gouging the skin and drawing blood. It is a bit of a brute compared to the Antec 120mm I had before. (The hub is huge.)

Is there a ceremony or something?

the wesson

LOL i'm sorry to hear that. Now we know not to touch that again! :cry: The scary thing is most of us are running tornados or deltas without grills... it's only a matter of time

my 190cfm 120mm Delta damn near took my hand off when i clipped it with my fingers when it was running at full rpm!!! Iv lost a nail to a tornado 92mm before and a good clean slice outa my finger from a TT smartcase fan2!!!

come on guys, fan grills are less than a trip to the hospital for stitches, I got mine (a pair of "swirl" pattern ones for $3 at SVC.. brand new

I remember the first time I stuck my finger in a fan. It was a thermaltake blue orb. I wanted to check if it was running and before I even knew what was happening WHAM ;)

reminds mo of the time i accidentaly ran 20v throug an old 120mm. the thing began to wobble back and forth until it fell off the table and into my lap (where my handwas resting). got a few nice finger cuts from that one

Ah.. I remember my first blood. It was also a 120mm panaflo. The thing is, it was a H1A...so it was spinning pretty damn fast. Made a notch in my fingernail the first time that I slipped, and then within 3 mintues later, I slipped again and the blood made this nice splash mark. It wasn't very much, but it was enough to be cool.

welcome to the forums, pentagram.

i know people think fangrills are the answer to this problem, but as capt. newbie adeptly pointed out, the computer gods would be angered without the sacrifice; and on a less ethereal note, grills increase noise. if you're running a tornado you dont care about that, but us folks who want to be able to appreciate classical music even after the age of 30 dont want jet engines in our case; and the noise caused by restrictions over the HSF is not insignificant. perhaps people should just wear leather gloves when working on the running computer... i dunno.

i hope your finger heals quickly thewesson.

Only thing I have done is got a blade from a Delta 60mm wedged under my nail, it broke off the fan and was stuck right in there! hurt like heck to pull it out.

I'm now an avid grill user :)

thats nothing guys
i got a bruise from a Camair Rotron @ 235cfm. not a guy, thick metal blades don't make guy. A freakin Bruise! WTF?!
.. and there was that one time when i closed my case door and crushed a piece of my thumb skin, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to open an antec case door when you got skin stuck in it.

My tornado was on a rhoebus at 60% (3000RPM instead of 5000RPM) and I didn't want to shutdown just to finish mounting the thing (it was halfway on.) So I started moving the clip over it and one of the blades chopped my finger. I looked at it and could tell it would bleed/had bled. So I shut down (in case any blood dripped.) I was like ooooh sh......t

Another time I was handling a measly 60mm fan. They're weak, right? Well, one of the blades went right underneath my fingernail.... that hurt.

Grills, they're included for a reason ;)

yeah i had a similar experience with my 80mm panaflo h1a i was remoiuntihg it to the hs while on and my finger slipped of the clippie thing and slice.
this happened twice
and another time it fell and i didnt want it to hit my vid card to i held my hand out and it sliced the end of my finger quite deep
man those things hurt.
:)

~Magick_Man~

i've gotten various wounds, but i've always been careful not to get it from fans (although it has happened once or twice). When i test a fan, i always A: note which direction it's spinning (so the blade will glide across the finger instead of cutting it) and B: stick my finger on the hub whenever possible, since the hub won't bite.

But yeah, I've gotten a huge wound before from a jagged steal case, and various pokes and scrapes from sharp solder joints.

Back