• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using my lifeline: Phone a fellow forum member

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@md0Cer

Ok guys, in the Maximum PC Geek Quiz:

The one part of a heard drive which must never, ever be covered up is the:
A.)Power connector
B.)Data connector
C.)Breath hole
D.)Platter zone

My guess would be the breath hole, becuase I know it is only one of the answers that can be right, A, and B both need to not be covered so you can plug it in, I never heard of C and D, but C seems the most logicle.

Is it C? I dont think my harddrive has one. Thanks guys.

The correct answer would be C.

While A and B should definatly not be covered if you're trying to plug it in, C should NEVER be covered. The breath hole is a small hole in the drive that either uses a diaphram or filter to not let dust in. This hole allows air pressure within the drive (caused, say, from excess heat) to equalize with the outside. Many drives will have a sticker on them explicitly warning the user to not cover the hole for any reason.

JigPu

Thank you so much guys! I hope I didn't cover mine, I have tape and string on mine. I have a fan hanging off of it blowing on the bottom of the drive. I never knew of this breath hole. Well, I learn something new every day. :)

Back