• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What A64 Processor should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamer004

I am planning on using this PC for games and everything else. Mostly games though. What would be a better CPU? an 3200+, 3400+ or one of those FX ones. Is the FX worth the money?

Wait until tomorrow or this week when the 939 Newcastles will supposed be released. As of now, I'd say the best choice would be the mobile 3200+. The FX is definitely not worth the money from a practical perspective.

The mobile is a guaranteed CG core, which is a better overclocker, and all are 1 MB L2 Clawhammers; more cache than the desktop parts available mostly in the wild.

Oh yeah, they work fine in desktop boards for the most part.

This thread is about the A64 CPU and motherboards, and various tradeoff to build a cost-effective A64 machine, for games also.
A64 754 1 MB L2 + 250 GB system available

This thread should contain all the introductory info about A64 systems:
A64 CPUs, chipsets, motherboards

CPU is the easy part to decide, either a mobile 1.4 V A64 3000+ or a 3200+ ClawHammer (1 MB L2) with CG revision.

The motherboard is the tougher choice, as there is only one motherboard based on the 250 GB chipset (which I think is the right choice) barely one would be able to order, hopefully in one to two weeks the situation would change.

Sorry, after I post, just find out you don't want to overclock and build a computer, pls ignore the post.

gamer004 said:
i dont want to overclock though. PLus i dont want to build either
Err...you do know what forums you're on, don't ya? ;) For a stock system, a 3200+ would have to be the best choice overall, though. Doesn't even need overclock to pack a punch, although it never hurts.

i might overclock after my one year warrenty is up. so a 3200+ is better quality/price compared to the 3400+? Any future plans for AMD CPU's?

I agree with Gautam, go with the 3200+. It should be powerful enough for all current games, and the next gen games, (HL2, doom III, stalker ETC) and then some.

ok, i think doom threew all you really need is a 2GHZ CPU. You dont need a high end CPU to play games, but it will help. right?

To the contrary, it will run anything that you throw at it for the next two years at least.

My point is that MHz is completely meaningless.

so what are you saying, i thought a AMD 3200+ could run anything up to 3.2GHZ. how do i measure with AMD if i can or can't play that game with it?

Look at "Gautam's" sig that's what you want.

Go to newegg for the Athlon 64 3200+ DTR CG Revision
Go to pricegrabber.com and find "Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro"
Go to pricegrabber.com and find "KHX3000" or "KHX 3000"

Last edited:
lol its funny how you ask advise on how to customize a computer from a website. It's all there for you just do some research yourself. Like Gautam said, this is the "overclockers" forum

Back