• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gb on a non-dual channel board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nomy

Registered
I've got an A7n8X-X board (bios 1007) with an Athlon XP2600+ (a relabelled 2800+). Since the board doesn't sport the dual channel (which from what i understand isn't a great performance booster on the XP line anyways) I'm not sure what the best option for me would be when going to 1gb ram.

Should I still get dual channel memory or should i see about getting a single stick of 1gb? I've noticed the timing on most of the 1gb sticks isn't the greatest and they are two sided. but would i gain performance by having 1 stick over two?

I'm planning to overclock (so far i've tested the board to about 195 mhz with some cheap elixir DDR266 ram) and believe it's likely that i'll be breaking 200fsb with slightly better cooling.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Well the 2x512 will overclock better and like said if you upgrade to a duel channel later you will have ram for it already. The other upgrade to consider is will you ever go to 2 gig? If so you could buy a single 1024 stick and save selling off your older 2x512 sticks, this is what I did. Since you don't have a duel channel board its really all up to what you want. Knowing most ASUS boards I've seen they don't go too far past 200 FSB anyway so if you buy a decent single 1024 stick then you will be fine.

performance loss?

should i expect any major performance loss if i use 2 sticks over 1 on non-dual channel? :-/

Back