• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 4x8 1866MHz on X79 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yoadknux

Sorry for spamming this board, I just like experimenting with RAM a lot :)

I've recently bought a 4x8 quad channel Corsair Vengeance kit, which should be able to do 10-11-11-27-1.5V 1866MHz. I plugged into my X79 4930k machine after removing the old RAM and performing a CMOS reset. I couldn't get the RAM to work properly. My findings:

1. First boot after CMOS reset, still no XMP profile -> 24GB detected, one slot (or stick) detected as abnormal by the bios SPD info.
2. Enabled XMP -> Don't remember what happened exactly, but still no 32GB detected.
3. Disabled XMP, played with timings, voltages and frequency manually -> Started seeing weird memory amount: 8GB, 16GB, 20GB, 28GB, etc - 20 and 28 shouldn't even be possible. I tried all sort of things with the RAM configuration from 9-9-9-24 1600MHz to 10-11-11-27 1866MHz and all sorts of other timings. As for voltages, DIMM voltage I tried 1.5V, 1.6V, 1.65V... VCCSA I tried some ranges from 1.1V to 1.3V. Oddly enough the XMP wants VCCSA of 1.3V, raises some eyebrows no? Isn't that high? As for VTT I haven't tried playing with it.
4. Eventually after some random tweak (which I was unable to repeat later on), I managed to have 32GB with manual 10-11-11-27 1866MHz, don't remember the exact voltages, and did RAM bandwidth tests and indeed it was in quad channel and functioning properly. BUT... I memtested and after about 2 hours I've already had 48 errors.

I've googled stuff and people have it seems some people can use their Vengeance kit with X79 while others cannot, as if this is a common issue. Should be noted that before this kit I mixed a 2x4 Corsair Vengeance 2ith 2x4 RipjawsX and they were 100% stable at 11-13-13-36 2400MHz, so it's not like X79 totally hates Vengeance.

Any tips on how to get those sticks to work?

Thanks!

Have you updated your BIOS? Anything else I could recommend you've done so....

Have you updated your BIOS? Anything else I could recommend you've done so....
Thanks for the comment! Bios has latest version.

I feel like there are two other things I should probably try to fully resolve the problem: The first one is to up the VTT (which probably shouldn't matter much). The second is to plug them one at a time to see if I can identify a bad stick and maybe RMA it.

Back