• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flanagun

I've noticed that the hard drives (One is a WD the other is a Maxtor) I'm using with my abit sata adapters are insanely hot, too hot to touch. I've got a couple fans blowing over them now, I was just wonderign if anyone else has experienced something like this.

Well my Maxotr drive (in the sig) gets warm on the sides and stuff but when i touch the black chip in the middle with my finger it will start to burn my finger after a few seconds. Which shows its like 60-70c

I wouldnt be worried much unles you wanna put heatsinks on the chips, or buy one of those HDD coolers that have a fan and Heatsinks to cover the whole thing, heck they even have some waterblock for a watercooler.

I'll probbly end up making a water block for th drives. But it wasnt just the chip geting tht hot it was the entire drive, the top and sides too.

It is the bearings.The metal ones are hot and the source of most of the noise you hear when accessing.I have four of the newer fluid bearing type and they actually run at room temperature,while my older steel bearing ones compete with my barton for the hottest component.

Back