• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$55 to burn...literally

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

Ok, so I'm buying a NEC ND-2510A. Now I need some media. I can only get + or - right now and not both to test. So I have $55 to spend on burning materials (DVD-Rs). I don't care what brand they are, if they include jewel cases or any of that just as long as I can get a 50 disk spindle that works good with the 2500A/2510A I'll be happy. So throw out some suggestions and why you suggest them. I've been looking around the net for the past week trying to find out what is good etc. So far my choice is Ritek/Ridata RITEKG04 disks (DVD-R). Its cheap and it seems like its good for this burner, but I still want to see what you all think would be best for this setup. Thanks.

I have that drive, and Im using 2 different Media types, I use Maxell DVD-R and they work great, no issues with them. I also have TDK DVD-R and they work just as well. I want to get ahold of DVD+R DL, but at $10 a each.. I dont think so yet..

value disc works excellent for me.

Burned 25 cds only 1 didnt owrk, and that was due to comp freezing?!?! it was my first burn ever with the drive so maybe that is why.
NO compatibility issues and yes i burn dvds as well and it works on my JVC

Why choose discs that only burn at 4x? Get some 4x DVD+R media with code RICOHJPNR01 that burn fine at 8x. Neweg has 50 of the for $39 shipped free. They are Ridata branded and the part# ends in RDSM. I'm at work or I'd provide a link. I've used almost 150 of these without a single problem in my Lite-on 811s. Check to see if your burner will burn at 8x on them first. Check cdfreaks forum.

thorn said:
Why choose discs that only burn at 4x? Get some 4x DVD+R media with code RICOHJPNR01 that burn fine at 8x. Neweg has 50 of the for $39 shipped free. They are Ridata branded and the part# ends in RDSM. I'm at work or I'd provide a link. I've used almost 150 of these without a single problem in my Lite-on 811s. Check to see if your burner will burn at 8x on them first. Check cdfreaks forum.

what would be the advantage of going with those disks (dvd+r) other than the chance of a higher speed burn? are they more compatible? ive been bouncing back and forth from RICOHJPNR01 media and RITEKG04 and cant decide which is best. they both seem good and people report them doing well on the drive im getting. they are also able to burn at 6x or greater on both in most cases. im not sure what to get....like i say, i want the most compatibility with my burner and players for the cheapest cost....Ritek seems to be just that, i just have to decide if i want the + or -....also, ive been reading that RICOHJPNR01 is getting pretty rare and that many companies are switching to CMC for providers :-/

In your case there probably isn't an adavantage other than burn speed since your drive does not yet support bitsetting (that I know). The discs I listed from newegg are RICOHJPNR01 which are also made by Ritek. I just bought a pack last week ($40 shipped). I used the G04s, too, and they are also good media.

Here's the link to the RICOHJPNR01 on Newegg.

They also have Taiyo Yuden media labeled as Samsung in 50 pk for $60. This is supposed to be the best media there is. I bought a pack and they should be here in a couple of days. They've been sold out and they sell out quick. Link

at supermediastore.com they say that the Riteck with the cake box package (purple casing) has the same media as the red plastic wrap spindles.
The Red Plastic Wrap packages are sold out. Now we are offering Ritek Ridata G04 4X DVD-R in 50 Pack Cake Boxes. The discs are exactly the same as those in red plastic wrap. The matte finish top surface is blank without any printing. And the recording surface is purple. So you have a FREE cake box to store your G04. Please check the images for new packages. If you prefer one package over the other please click HERE to vote.

i think im just going to go with these 100 of them for $66 with paper sleeves...not a bad deal imo.

First of all...

DO NOT buy TDK, memorex, Maxell, Fujifilm, or any of those brands. These are all basically Ritek's or Taiyo Yuden in disguise. Pay less and buy Ritek.

Secondly, for movies, DVD-R tend to be compatible with more standalone DVD players than DVD+R discs. I've used Ritek's flavor of each and have had a bit more success with the DVD-R. The ones you found look fine. 8x DVD-R are slowly becoming available, but I'd just buy the 4x discs. But then again, I have no need to burn a DVD in 8 minutes.

Like I said, what you found look great, and the sleeves will come in handy. Also, Newegg has a pretty good deal lately on 50 DVD-R for $40.

All the best,

Odie :)

I use the Ritek -r's in my 2500, haven't had a coaster yet and they play in my Pioneer DVD player. Won't play video on the roomates PS2 though.

Odie812 said:
Secondly, for movies, DVD-R tend to be compatible with more standalone DVD players than DVD+R discs.

That is, unless your drive supports bitsetting or changing the booktype then DVD+R is more compatible. Like my Lite-on 811s. The discs I burn are even compatible in my friends Panasonic DVD player. It will play NO other recorded DVD media than a DVD+R set to DVD-ROM booktype.

Back