• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

loose NB cooler? adhesive advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

Hi all, i've been trying to get my precious 20% overclock and I stay pretty unstable until 1.68V. I have a swiftech NB cooler hooked on with arctic alumina and spring clips. On one of the sides a cap prevents the spring from holding the sink down as much as the other side. Do you think this small difference in pressure could be making the difference in my stability? Also, it's very hot and humid today, that may have some bearing on stability?

Would anyone recommend AS5 adhesive as a solution to my problem? I don't mind if it is permanently on or hard to get off. I have some right here, but i'm not sure it will even hold it on to the board! It's a NB with no heat spreader by the way...

Thanks for your input! :thup:

BTW, I am at 1.68V in BIOS, speedfan reads it at 1.66 at full load.

Last edited:
I don't think it would make much difference unless it was very slanted, ie one side would not touch the core. At this point, I wouldn't worry about performance, but rather about a crushed corner.

It's been a while since I looked at my NB chip, have you tried using pads between the chip and the area not in contact with the heatsink? I'm fairly sure I did use pads, but I'm getting old and my memory is fading.

What did I just say anyway?

haha, nice kittay by the way. It makes pretty even contact with the core, but i could tell when i remounted that there was more thermal grease on one side than the other. I have the little pads on, too. Thanks :thup:

Back