• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 3.2c p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

falltime

Registered
I built my new box about 2 weeks ago, and was topping out @ 240fsb on my Abit IC-7 Max3 with a 3.2c P4. I had a pair of 512 OCZ EL 3200 Platinum Sticks which wasn't giving anything past 220 @ 1:1 and I assumed was topping out at 240 @ 5:4. At newegg I noticed a pair of OCZ 4200 sticks was only around 20 dollars more than my current 3200 sticks. I immediately purchased the 4200 and rma'd my current ram. I received my 4200 today and am now able to hit 240 @ 1:1 but I still can't get into windows at anything higher. I'm assuming its my cpu that is limiting me, but when even when I try to bring up the fsb and vcore my probe is only reporting temps of around 40 Celsius load, so it seems like I should be able to go further, but I can't. I can't seem to figure this out. I've been @ 250 fsb with a vcore of 1.75 and the Windows XP logo was coming up, but rebooting almost immediately after.

Thanks for any help guys.
-Adam

sell that 3.2c and get a 3.0c and hit 4ghz with that memory you have :p

That still a good overclock..just hate to see all the extra memorybandwidth go to waste..hehehe ;)

1.7Vcore sounds pretty high to me. Do you plan to leave it that high at aircooling?
How high is your idle Vcore? Must be somewhere about 1.78Vcore... cant be good IMO.
I´d rather run the CPU - as koxc2003 said - at 1.65max (or better 1.6V ) and check the Max stable vcore, than risking to damage the CPU just because of 100MHz more.

As malinois1 mentioned, you may very well have hit the CPU limit at 3.84. That's already right up with the best of them.

That said...

You may be maxing out your power supply. You're running a P4 at 3.8+ GHz at elevated voltage, 4 hard drives, misc cards and optical drives, and who knows how many fans. That's quite a load, even for a 430W Antec.

yeah ive been thinking about that too. i might return it for a fortron 530w.

Back