• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a multimeter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andyman902042

Hi everyone. I found this thing in a toolbox outside. My dad said it was my grandpa's. My grandpa was an electrician. I'd ask him about it but he's not living anymore. I pretty sure it's a multimeter. It says "milliameter" on it. So is it like a more advacned multimeter or what? Here's a couple pics the first one is the front and the second one is the back. It also has cables that plug in the little holes. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Cool!!! Well on the back theres a plate that comes of and theres a place for a 9 volt battery and a 1.5 volt battery (I think like a C or D size). Do I need both batteries for it to work or just one or the other. Also theres a spot for a fuse but it has foil running across it. Is it extremely dangerous using it without a fuse for things like testing voltages in a computer?

If I had to guess, I would put it back to the late 50's. Also are there any other markings? Milliameter could mean that it was never intended to measure anything other than current. Can you post a pic or two of the probe(s)?

Yep, it's a multimeter alright. I still use one somewhat similar...I'd date that one as a bit older than deRusett's estimate...I'd say 60s.

While it may make an interesting conversation piece, it may be somewhat less than accurate. If you just need to see if there's voltage/resistance/amperage in a given circuit and have a big tolerance for error, it could be useful.

Make sure to install a proper fuse to prevent damage to the meter and circuit in case of an overvolt/amp. You'll need both batteries to use all functions, i.e., ohms, milliampres and volts. Many of the old simpson meters like yours used a bizarre 23.5V battery. You may want to check with the manufacturer via email regarding your particular model.

Malpine, If you look closely at the first image Andyman provided, you'll see a selector on the front and you can make out 500K and you can also see ohms on the scale. I used to have one quite similar and I'm pretty sure it's a full-funciton multimeter.

Andyman902042 said:
Hi everyone. I found this thing in a toolbox outside. My dad said it was my grandpa's. My grandpa was an electrician. I'd ask him about it but he's not living anymore. I pretty sure it's a multimeter. It says "milliameter" on it. So is it like a more advacned multimeter or what? Here's a couple pics the first one is the front and the second one is the back. It also has cables that plug in the little holes. Thanks.

Thats a Simpson "bench" multimeter, they're excellent, and accurate multimeters, although yours most likely needs to be calibrated for maximum accuracy.

I used to have one years ago and it worked really well, it has multiple measurement ranges for DC voltage and current, also AC voltage and current, as well as resistance.

Don't forget to check your meter leads (for zero/low-low resistance) with a known good meter on the Ohms/resistance setting.

Good Find
elec.tron

Andyman902042 said:
Cool!!! Well on the back theres a plate that comes of and theres a place for a 9 volt battery and a 1.5 volt battery (I think like a C or D size). Do I need both batteries for it to work or just one or the other. Also theres a spot for a fuse but it has foil running across it. Is it extremely dangerous using it without a fuse for things like testing voltages in a computer?

No, there is no danger as long as you're only measuring voltage or resistance. If you're measuring current, however, then you must have a fuse installed.

Last edited:
Well I put in a D battery and a 9volt. They seem to fit in fine and make the multimeter work. Also the place I put the D battery was labeled 1.5 volts and the other one is a thing that snaps on to the top of a 9 volt.

I've looked on the internet a bit and now I know how to use it kind of. I tried to measure the voltage of a battery and I got EXACTLY 1.5 volts. Theres a knob labeled "Zero Ohms" and I'm assuming thats to calibrate the resistance meter. What would the resistance of touching the probes toghther be. I don't think it would be 0 because there dirty and rusty so they'd probably be about .5 or so right?

Andyman902042 said:
I've looked on the internet a bit and now I know how to use it kind of. I tried to measure the voltage of a battery and I got EXACTLY 1.5 volts. Theres a knob labeled "Zero Ohms" and I'm assuming thats to calibrate the resistance meter. What would the resistance of touching the probes toghther be. I don't think it would be 0 because there dirty and rusty so they'd probably be about .5 or so right?

Yup, .5 is fine for 90% of what your going to be doing with it. Clean up the tips and plug ends with some fine emory cloth and that may improve a bit.

Also I seemed to have passed over the thing about the tin foil on the fuse, the fuse is there for current measurement, usually on most meters 10A, but I don't really remember for sure what my Simpson had in it as I don't think I ever changed it. I would avoid anything having to do with measuring current until/if you have your meter checked out by someone who repairs these things, to be on the safe side. ;)

elec.tron

One thing you may notice when you are measuring resistance is that if you set the dial to the most sensative setting, you'll be able to manipulate the reading by squeezing the tips of the probes while holding them in either hand. Hours of fun! Amaze your friends and family! Get the complete pamphlet now for only $9.95!

I'd love to see what this old multimeter looks like, but when I click the attached images, I get the following:

Krusty, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

this is a test because my previous post didn't appear and I think something is broken on the forums.

Andyman902042 said:

the batteries are def needed to measure resistance and you should put in a fuse

do a google search for simpson 260 manual..

its a top of the line meter from its day. ACV DCV, A, MA OHMs

hehe i used one in high school in electricity class

Back