• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Last Resort: I really need help, I think the Antec 430Tru is my OC Bane!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I've been using an Antec 430 Truepower for a while, and although it has served me well with my old 2.26 P4, and seemed to do well with a low OC on my new 2.8C and 3.0C(30cap), I've come to the conclusion that it HAS to be the weakest link in my current system. Now I'm probably pulling a nice bit of wattage of of this PSU...overclocked system, 9800Xt, MCP600 pump, dual 10k raptor drives, a few CC's, and so on. Here is my main problem. I've been running a 2.8C in this system for a while, and the most I was able to achieve with overclocking was 235. At 235 it didn't matter what I did, I couldn't break through that wall. So thinking that I just had a weak proc I resorted to buying a 3.0C the other day from Newegg, and prayed it was the miraculous 30cap proc. Well my 30cap has arrived today, and once again I have hit the 235FSB wall of doom. I'm convinced that I have tried everything, and my only remaining option is to replace the powersupply. Please if you have any knowledge on this feel free to give advice/suggestions. And as far as PSU units go, what would you think would be the best and could give me the stability on the 3.3 line and 12v line. It's a known fact that Antecs have had problems with with the P4P800-E Deluxe board on the 12v line. Maybe they have a hidden problem with other Asus boards....I don't know, but I'd like to move towards fixing my problem. Not being able to hit 250FSB with a 30cap 3.0C while running Corsair 3200XLPro sticks is just unacceptable. Thankyou!

I had the same problem so i decided to quit fooling around and bought the PSU in my sig a few days ago. I had an Enermax 465 but is was 3 years old and just couldn't keep up anymore.

Well, PC Power and cooling would be the absolute best, but it will cost ya. Next in line is the Fortron 530w (quite, has internal pots should you need, and it's a beast!), followed very closly by Antec 550w (True Control) - the Antec is more expensive and not really any better than the Fortron cept it's pots are external.

Something to try (I don't overclock, so it's not like I really know) but see if you can get better results with less peripherals being used (CCFL's, or drop a HD, etc). Basically anything on the 12V rail that you don't need. If it works, new PSU, if not something else? Or I'm smokin' something. 8)

AntecRep

AntecRep said:
Something to try (I don't overclock, so it's not like I really know) but see if you can get better results with less peripherals being used (CCFL's, or drop a HD, etc). Basically anything on the 12V rail that you don't need. If it works, new PSU, if not something else? Or I'm smokin' something. 8)

AntecRep

Yeah, I've tried that already, but basically I'm only able to drop off 1hdd and the ccfl's. Since my 10k drives are raid0 I can't just unhook 1 of them. But I'm going to jumper my other Antec PSU today and run my pump, hdd's, etc off of it.

although that pc power and cooling is prolly the best psu out there, i dont think its worth that kind of money. The fortron is rated up there with it, and is way cheaper.

IMHO, the Antec True550 EPS12V which sells for $94 at Directron is virtually as good as the PC Power and Cooling 510. The only difference is the Antec has 3% load regulation on spec, whereas the pcpc has 1%.

thats not true at all. there a host of features. The antec sucks compared to the pcp&c. Not even close. Don't get me started on why either (it will take a few pages). I've had both.

AS for the truepower 430, I was having the same problems as you. The problem is that your voltages are dropping like mad. Mod it and you're problems will go away. Takes about $10, 1 hour, and one happy psu. Its the easiest mod out there (I'm serious, my 10 year old neighbor did it). Here's the link to the guide I wrote.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=299937

If that still doesn't work, you're psu value will be increased a lot (normal ones sell for around 35-40 shipped on the forums. I just sold my modded one for $60 shipped, $6 off the newegg brand new price). I suggest you sell it and get the pc power and cooling 510 deluxe. Best power supply on the planet.

docinthebox said:
IMHO, the Antec True550 EPS12V which sells for $94 at Directron is virtually as good as the PC Power and Cooling 510. The only difference is the Antec has 3% load regulation on spec, whereas the pcpc has 1%.

Here's why you are totally wrong.

The rating is only for 510 watts on the pcp&c but in reality, judged at the same temperature that the antec is judged for, it is rated for 660watts (if the antec were rated on the same scale that the pc power and cooling is rated on it would give off around 380 watts). not only that it has almost twice the amps that the antec does on the 12v line. It has more amps on the other lines. It has 3 times better voltage regulation (yes, thats right off the specs, 3% to 1%), active PFC which the antec does not have, fully sleeved cables, a nice, painted finish (including fan and grill), a cool stealth look, line conditioning (again antec lacks), a 5 year warranty compared to 3 year, similiar noise level, better brownout/surge protection, beefier caps, etc. etc. Here. Compare.

Turbocool 510 Deluxe vs. Antec 550

turbcool-pic4.jpg

turbcool-pic7.jpg

inside.jpg

turbcool-pic5.jpg

turbcool-pic10.jpg

you could have that or:

cables.jpg

connectors.jpg

antec5502.jpg

If you have the cash there is NO excuse not to go pc power and cooling. If you don't have the cash go fortron 530 watt. Way better than antec.

Last edited:
computerpro3 said:
Here's why you are totally wrong.

...not only that it has almost twice the amps that the antec does on the 12v line.

The Antec True550 EPS12V has 36A on the 12V rail. Are you saying the pc power and cooling 510 deluxe has 72A on the 12V rail?

opps my bad didn't notice the EPS12v :clap: Yay for me the retard :clap:

Ya that psu is almost as good tho still not quite. I thought he was talking about the trupower 550 normal versio. That psu isn't NEARLY as good.

computerpro3 said:
thats not true at all. there a host of features. The antec sucks compared to the pcp&c. Not even close. Don't get me started on why either (it will take a few pages). I've had both.

AS for the truepower 430, I was having the same problems as you. The problem is that your voltages are dropping like mad. Mod it and you're problems will go away. Takes about $10, 1 hour, and one happy psu. Its the easiest mod out there (I'm serious, my 10 year old neighbor did it). Here's the link to the guide I wrote.

So your saying that you were hitting an OC wall with your 3.0C until you either modded or upgraded to a pcp&c psu? If that's the case, then I'll place an order for a pcp&c right now. Funds aren't the problem. And I don't mind buying a high dollar psu since I will most likely be able to move it to my next system and it will last me a few years. What speeds were you running your 3.0C at before? I see in your sig what it's at now. I'm just pulling my hair out over my proc's not being able to get past 235. Like I said either in this thread or another one, I've never heard of a 3.0C that has 30 caps not hitting 250 with good RAM. I'm at my wits end here. I know my luck isn't so rotten as to get 3 procs in a row that max out conviniently right at 235FSB. I'll even be sticking a 2.6C in my rig tonight to see what it does. If you really think it's the PSU then I'll go all out. If not I guess I'll just have to resort to selling my 2.8C and 3.0C and take a chance on another 3.0C.

absolutley. What was happening was that with my Antec, I had to choose from high overclocks on the chip (3.85ghz max) and low video card clocks or high video card overclocks and low chi overclocks. With my chip at 3.85ghz, I could hit 400/340 on the video card. With the chip at stock I could hit 435/370. To verify the power supply was the problem, hooked up a second 480w thermaltake to everything in my system except the mobo, chip, memory, and video card. I hooked up my hard drive, fans, lights, optical drives, everything else up to the thermaltake. Lo and behold, I hit 3.9ghz with max overclocks on the video card.

When I got my pc power and cooling, I am at 4ghz stable, with the high video card overclocks, and it gained me 15MHZ in dual channel on the memory!!!! Before, I could only do dual channel up to 240FSB before my memory crapped out. Now, with the same volts, I can do 255mhz dual channel rock solid, prime and memtest stable. same volts. I figure its the lack of fluctuation.

So the moral of the story is if you are running out of room with your power supply and have the cash, go with pc power and cooling 510 deluxe. It is the ultimate ATX normal power supply. If you decide to order one, which I wholeheartedley reccomend, call them up and talk to them instead of ordering it online. The guys there are the coolest in the industry. They will even custom build the psu if you want. I ordered mine with some small modifications done to the 3.3v line and external pots mounted on 3 foot long wires so I could mount them to the case and change the volts whenever I felt like it. :cool: You can tell them how many connectors you want, how long you want the lines to be, hell, even tell them that you want more amps on a line and they will do it. They're the best.

Find me a system that will max out the Fortron, and I will. Tedinde had a 3.2C up to 4.2ghz in a fully loaded system. The Fortron chugged right along. Here's the thread. If a $70 psu can handle a system like that along with perfect rails, is there any point of going higher? Yes, the power supply is one of the most, if not the most crucial part of an overclocked system, but while it's certainly a bad idea to gimp on it, splurging is a little illogical. I've noticed the trend make a near-180 degree turn. It wasn't too long ago that people were trying to power very high end systems with very cheap power supplies; now it seems like people buy the priciest power supplies out there for systems that don't require even half the power that they can deliver. Neither option makes too much sense.

I ran my AXP 1700+ oc'ed to 2.6ghz using 2.1v with a 300w Fortron. That's one of the gutsiest overclocks out there, yet people running far less overclocked systems very often have much more powerful power supplies. Sure, the PCP&C will power any system out there, but economics should be considered as well. If it's the $40 difference between some generic psu and a 530 Fortron, then it's well worth it. But if it's $150 difference between a PCP&C 510 and a 530 Fortron, then that money's going nowhere for 99.9999999% who'd spend it. The PCP&C costs serious money; that's why I'd be careful in touting it as a blanket solution to anyone's power problems.

While I agree that it is not worth $150 over the fortron to the average person, it sure as hell is to me. I LOVE how its painted matte black, with the sticker not visible. I love the sleeved, custom length wires, the stealth look. I love talking to pcp&c tech guys for 2 hours on the phone, they were enthusiastic, complementing me on my rig, and talking about how they mod their own turbocool 510 deluxes. I love the 5 year warranty. I love my external pots. I love the 1 frickin percent voltage regulation. I love the fact that if you dont get external pots they drill holes in the casing so you can still adjust it without losing the warranty. I love the fact that they even take the time to braid the wiring on the external pots so it looks neat. I love the fact that they custom modded the psu to make the rails adjustable more than +/- 10% without any problems when I asked. Its the rolls royce of the industry, while the fortron is the bmw. I am willing and happy to pay $150 for the extra features, peace of mind, the fact that it was custom modded/crafted to my exact specs, and the simple fact that not everyone has it. Its fun to own. Thats what makes it worth it to me.

I am not reccomending it as a blanket solution. Whenever someone asks for a new psu, I say this "If you have the cash pcp&c, if not, fortron". They are great psu's. But they aren't pcp&c. Maybe they're close in terms of power, but they can't match any of the features I mentioned above. Fortrons just aren't pcp&c.

The 1337ness definitely plays in. Yeah, no other power supply can offer that, and being able to put PC Power and Cooling in your sig must give you nice warm feeling inside. The full customization is a very nice bonus for sure. It's the classic highest-end scenario; that step from "good" to the "best in the word" takes an awful lot of dough.

I just don't want anyone to get the idea that it's necessary to have a PSU of that caliber to get the best overclock possible. I'm not specifically saying that you suggested this, but it's becoming an increasingly common notion these days.

computerpro3 said:
Fortrons just aren't pcp&c.

Actually I've seen a few PC P&C units that were in fact Fortrons, or at least part Fortron. True the highest wattage so far they've used that I know of was 400w, but PC Power and Cooling clearly does recognize the outstanding QC over at Fortron-Source. Fortron is probably the most recommended at these boards, yet I see very, very few complaints of them failing no matter the age of the unit.

I have to say, even if I did have the cash to go PC P&C I wouldn't - I just can't justify the cost. Would rather get started on my home theater upgrade. I don't even need the Fortron 530w for my current system ;)

Back