• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel CPU a must for notebooks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
iKwak said:
Is Intel CPU a must for notebooks that want the best battery life?
I don't know much about the AMD chips for portables.

You could go Transmeta if you found a laptop that used it. Those provide very good battery life. There's also low-speed, ~1.0 GHz AthlonXP ULV's which can provide some decent battery life. However, computing power and battery life all in one? Ya, Pentium-M based notebooks are about it.

A Pentium M will give you much more battery life than any other cpu in it's class, and is about as fast as an athlon64 per clock. The only reason not to get one is price. The 1.8ghz runs $400+.

Yuriman said:
A Pentium M will give you much more battery life than any other cpu in it's class, and is about as fast as an athlon64 per clock. The only reason not to get one is price. The 1.8ghz runs $400+.

I'm quite happy with the 4 hours of websurfing I get on my A64 mobile 2800+. :) A centrino would do a bit better, but considering my laptop also has a mobile 9700 I don't think the centrino would do alot better.

a64 mobiles are very good. i reccomend them over centrino in most cases. if 1 hour more battery life is worth 300 dollors more and less power than the centrino is a great choice :

I know Centrino's use 20% less than a typical Intel processor. So it'll get better battery life.

Does the centrino have the same architecture as the Dothan? Becuase that chip is supposed to be incredible.

But If i ever get a laptop, it's be for work/school only, thus I'll probably get the one with the best batter life. Maybe even a Apple...

*dodges thrown tomatoes*

Does the centrino have the same architecture as the Dothan? Becuase that chip is supposed to be incredible.

Dothan is a completely new design...

If you want just batterylife: go for the lower speed Pentium-M. If you want power as well, take an a64 mobile.

Back